PDA

View Full Version : Formula checks on ebay?! am I getting scammed?

xmasbabycomin
08-18-2006, 10:32 AM
So I saw on Craigs List someone asking for formula coupons
as she was unable to breastfeed. My heart went out to her
and I told her I had some I could send her.

Well, being as cynical as I am, I wondered later if
this person could be collecting or selling them.
(after reading about the ebay nursing bra
scandal...!)I checked ebay and wow! tons of checks going
for good $. Of course I will still send her my
checks, but I was just wondering if anyone here
has ever bought or sold those checks. Mine have
my name on them...can someone else still
use them? $75 in GoodStart checks went for
$70+! Should I send her more if I get them,
or am I just being paranoid?

buddyleebaby
08-18-2006, 08:56 PM
Well, who knows really?
She could very well be selling them.
My dad used to chide me for giving cash to homeless men and say that they were only going to use it for liquor.
He may have been right as well, but I would rather get scammed out of a few bucks than not give it to someone who really needed it, kwim?

megs4413
08-18-2006, 10:38 PM
I'm with Alicia. If you're not using them anyway...who cares? This woman is at least hard up enough for money that she's scamming formula checks....if you don't need em i'd keep sending em on.

xmasbabycomin
08-20-2006, 03:05 AM
True. Mainly just wondering if anyone had heard of
such a scam. My DH cynicism is starting to rub off.

I guess I also saw the address was Folsom, CA
and had this interesting mental picture of some
prisoner using his good behavior computer time
for solicitig and reselling formula checks. Well,
if that's true, at least he's doing something
nonviolent and creative! Ha!

tarynsmum
08-20-2006, 05:37 PM
LOL, I'm just picturing some guy prisoner getting mail and the warnen looking at it and being like "what the heck are you doing with infant formula?!" too funny

kijip
08-20-2006, 10:49 PM
I have bought formula checks off of Ebay for really cheap (like a couple of bucks for $20 worth). Every little bit helps. Still, that was well over 2 years ago and I think the prices were better then. I would not bother with paying $70 for $75, that is for sure.

However, I never bothered selling the ones I never used, I just gave them away. Perhaps the women sold them but like Alicia, I really don't care. That being said, I tend to read anything on CL as a scam nowdays!

sadie_beth_1124
08-21-2006, 03:37 PM
I'm pretty sure legally you are not supposed to sell the checks at all. If it bothers you, you could report it to eBay & they will pull the auction.
Which I know is not the point, but thought I'd chime in anyway. :)

safarimom
08-23-2006, 06:38 AM
Unfortunately, people bypass the rule for selling coupons & checks on Ebay in their listings by saying that you are bidding on the person's time to gather & send the coupons to you. They often specify that the coupons are "free" or a gift. Apparently, that is legal by Ebay rules. Never tried it, but people do it all the time with Gymbucks, etc.

charmcitymama
08-24-2006, 10:01 PM
I would definitely be just as concerned, I have had some shifty CL encounters...not in person, b/c I knew I didn't want to meet her...but, this woman responded to an ad for me selling Gap Maternity clothes and said she was donating clothes to a shelter. Um, yeah...right.