PDA

View Full Version : 6 month old BF baby refusing occasional bottle

sophiesmom
08-18-2006, 10:05 PM
I've been nursing DD for 6 months. She's had an occasional bottle of formula when I'm out. She's had them from the time she was in the hospital and always did fine with them. She maybe would get one once a week, but sometimes longer stretches.

Over the past few weeks she seems to be refusing to take the bottle from anyone. This is frustating for me because I rush around when I'm out.

Do you think this could be: just deciding does not like the taste of formula? (therefore should i try pumping?) teething? something else?

She's also becoming very distracted when nursing, but i remember DS doing the same around this age. I'm getting a bit frustrated with nursing and want to try to hold on if i can!

Thanks!

rsgmommy
08-19-2006, 08:47 PM
As far as the formula- can you maybe try another brand to see if it is a flavor preference thing?

And the distraction- easier said than done, but eliminate distractions while nursing- quiet, dark, etc. When DD went through this stage, I took away the breast if she wouldn't focus and nurse. Eventually she got the picture that nursing time was time to nurse- not play.

Not an expert, so take this with a grain of salt, but I did nurse DS for 16 months and DD for 18 months, so lots of experience, *grin*.

Best of luck!

mypa
08-21-2006, 01:10 AM
I had the same situation with my BF DS. That was right around the time he refused to take the bottle of expressed BM that he used to drink just fine couple of times a week. In fact he refused to take it in a sippy or cup also. I think that around six months old they become so aware of their surroundings and realize that getting milk from mommy's nipple is a lot more enjoyable than the bottle.

The breastfeeding relationship changes over time. Yes, it's a bit annoying when they get distracted while nursing but it got better because DS also started to nurse a lot quicker so the breastfeeding sessions only last a few minutes. Now, that DS is over 1 yr he pounces on me while I lie naked on the floor and rest. He goes back and forth climbing over me from one breast to the other with a huge smile on his face and look of delight-like he is enjoying a feast!!!

Also, once babies start taking solids, it would be possible for when you are out to have your baby get food instead of formula.

Hang it there!!

sophiesmom
08-21-2006, 09:36 PM
Hmm, I was starting to think it was just the taste of the formula, but this happened with you w/ bottles of BM. I was thinking of trying to pump but that may not solve it. She sucks fine on an occasional pacificer so i don't think the bottle is bothering her gums. ??

Today she drank a little bit of water from a gerber training sippy, so maybe I will try that once she gets a hang of the cup.

I've been trying to go in her room to nurse, but it's hard w/ the other 2 being at home. I hate to leave them alone, but luckily she is a quick nurser. And even if she is distracted she gets a lot anyway since she does it quick even when not distracted.

Thanks for the tip on going out, maybe once the cup is established i could do food and a little water or formula (if that works) when i'm out.

:-)

Thanks!