PDA

View Full Version : Used Breast Pump

jen2006
08-19-2006, 06:09 PM
Hello,
I just finished reading the breast pump section in baby bargains, and must admit I am a little confused. The book notes not to buy a used pump, as their may be left over milk in the mechanical parts. I was planning on using my sister-in-law's pump. What then makes a rented pump preferrable if it is also used by many?

Any thoughts or information is appreciated.

Thank you.

Jen

JTsMom
08-19-2006, 06:53 PM
They are made differently. Rental pumps don't allow milk to come into contact with the parts that aren't replaced with each user. You buy a kit to use with them.

Having said that, a lot of people DO reuse single user pumps. Ameda and Medela both have sections on their websites that talk about this issue if you want to learn more.

Good luck!

jen2006
08-20-2006, 08:40 AM
Hi there,
Thanks for the clarification!
This site was very informative as it points to the information from Medela & Ameda. Thanks again.

http://www.breastfeedingonline.com/pumps.shtml

tarynsmum
08-20-2006, 05:35 PM
"my" pump is one that I borrowed as well. Honestly, the chance of transferring bacteria or germs is so rare that I don't really worry about it. I definitely was not able to go out and buy a PIS myself (alolg with everything else) and the PIS is one of the best things I've ever borrowed. I'd do it again.