PDA

View Full Version : Baby's First Birthday Cake - any great recipes?

jarrettsmom9705
08-20-2006, 09:09 PM
My DS is about to turn 1, and I wanted to make him his first birthday cake myself. Does anyone have a great cake recipe that they could share with me. I am leaning towards a chocolate cake which is the traditional first birthday cake in my family. Any "healthy" chocolate cake recipes out there. Yes, I realize that's somewhat of any oxymoron, but come on - you only turn one once.
Thanks,
Tracy

kaylinsmommy2
08-21-2006, 12:40 PM
Do a search for this, I've seen quite a few good recipes. One was for an apple cake that was egg free and I think used spelt flour (maybe you can search for apple cake egg spelt?) that we made that was good. And I think Holli posted a link to a carrot cake from wholesomebabyfood.com (or whatever that link is that's pretty popular in this forum).

Good luck!

Caroline
mommy to Kaylin 6/5/04

http://tickers.baby-gaga.com/t/bunbunadb20040605_-9_Kaylin+is+now.png[/img][/url]

and one on the way, due 2/26/07

JTsMom
08-21-2006, 02:36 PM
We went for chocolate cake here too- yum! I think he took about 3 bites of it anyway. I don't have a particularly healthy chocolate cake recipe, but I guess you could always experiment with substituting some/all of the fat with applesauce if you really felt the need.

We used the Perfectly Chocolate Chocolate Cake recipe from Hershey's (on their site) on the rec of someone here and it was delicious! Have fun!

juliasmom05
08-21-2006, 02:51 PM
Here is the recipe for the applesauce cake and a link to the original thread.

applesauce cake:
1/4 cup butter
1 cup sugar
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp nutmeg
1 cup applesauce
1 1/2 cups flour (whole grain spelt flour)

preheat oven to 350. cream first 5 ingredients together. stir in applesauce and flour. grease an 8x8 pan and pour in batter. bake 30-45 minutes. cake can be topped with powdered sugar or icing. this recipe makes one layer cake.

It was super easy and tasted great. I made them as muffins, but a cake would be just as easy. I also just used regular flour.

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=86&topic_id=29231&mode=full

Marci

Mom to Julia 4/05

JulieL
08-21-2006, 02:58 PM
this is easy and really good!