PDA

View Full Version : UPDATE: Well, we are biting the bullet, slowly weaning night feeding (sorry this is LONG)

maestramommy
08-22-2006, 11:50 AM
Well, it's been about a week and a half since we started weaning Dora from her early night feeding. Had a couple of crying nights, but overall she did very well, with the added component of pushing the 2nd feeding way late, as late at 6am. Sunday night she slept through the night, and I went to wake her at 7. With the advice of a friend and mommy of two, we decided to go ahead and encourage her to keep sleeping through the night. I've decided I'm comfortable with doing this because suddenly in the middle of last week she has been eating MUCH more. She's still not a big eater, but she went from eating miniscule next-to-nothing amounts to smal-moderate amounts. Dinner is a favorite meal now. Sunday at lunch she finished all her food for the first time and wanted more. So as long as she keeps eating like this I think she should be able to go all night. The nice thing is that she wakes up nice and hungry and I wake up nice and full. This morning she woke at 5:30, and refused to go back down, no matter how Dh went in and did his routine, but we expect a few hiccups like this just as it happened with the first feeding.

The only weird thing is that for the last 2 days her naps are kinda screwed up. Yesterday morning she whined for a hour before falling asleep, then woke up 20 minutes later because she pooped. In the afternoon she played in her crib for at least half an hour, fell asleep for 90 minutes, then woke up because she pooped again. This morning, she went down really easy, then suddenly woke up 30 minutes later crying like crazy for no reason I can see, except that one side of the crib rail was no longer hooked. I deliberately checked it to make sure it was solid when I put her down because once I went to get her after a nap and found it unhooked. Could she have been playing with it or kicked it, and unhooked it somehow? I nursed her again, and she lay down, but she's whining and probably playing her crib. I really hope she sleeps a little more, because we have to go out later.

Maybe I should also mention that I always nurse her before her naps, so sometimes she goes down asleep or half asleep, and sometimes she's awake. This is different from bedtime, in which we instituted the "going down awake" every night to keep it consistent. Should I start doing that with her naps as well?