PDA

View Full Version : Ameda Purely Yours noise -- do I need a new pump motor??

mymomsays
08-23-2006, 10:58 PM
I've been using my PIS for a year now and am well and truly fed up with lugging it back and forth to work every day. I dusted off an Ameda Purely Yours that a family member passed down to me and decided to make it my at-work pump and keep the PIS for home.

I purchased a new HygeniKit and hooked it all up tonight. I was shocked at how loud the PY is compared to my PIS. There's no WAY I can use it at work. Bummer.

My question is: how do I know if the loud noise is normal or if it means the pump is too old?

If I find out somehow (and the only thing I can think of is to take it to a LLL meeting or to my old LC for a demo!) that it IS a bad motor, is there someplace I can buy just the motor part? (It is not under warranty any more.) I have the power cord, HygeniKit, tote bag, etc.--I hate to buy a whole new pump and in fact will probably just suck it up & keep schlepping the PIS if that turns out to be the only solution.

Thanks

Momof3Labs
08-24-2006, 07:32 AM
i have both the pis and py and they do sound different. as long as suction is good, the motor is probably fine. can you use the pis at work and the py at home instead?

mymomsays
08-24-2006, 11:17 AM
The suction does seem OK, so I guess it is working fine and in theory I can do what you suggest. I was worried about the nouise of the PY, as my most important pumping session each day is the one I do before the baby wakes up, and her room opens on to the living room, the most comfortable place to pump. But I think I will try it, or pump in a different room (loathe as I am to give up my little coffee-toast-TV news routine, the only thing that makes the early hour bearable!).

Thanks.