PDA

View Full Version : Is cheese binding?

maestramommy
08-24-2006, 06:25 PM
Dora is pooping/straining often, and starting to poop hard little balls, or logs made out of hard little balls. Could it be all the cheese she's been eating? It's a staple for her. If she won't eat anything else she'll still eat cheese. So this week I've been feeding her a lot of ripe banana, and blueberries, although we ran out of blueberries today. Now I've got watermelon, but she only wants to chew it down to nothing, then spit out the fiber! Should I stop giving it to her until she learns/decides to swallow it? What do you do for these hard little poops if they're no longer eating jarred food? I saw the post on black beans so I'll try that tonight, but anything else?

octmom
08-24-2006, 06:38 PM
nak

Yes, too much cheese can cause constipation. Fruits and veggies should help. Bananas can also cause constpation though, so beware. Also avoid rice.

HTH!

jgriffin
08-24-2006, 07:22 PM
>nak
>
>Yes, too much cheese can cause constipation. Fruits and
>veggies should help. Bananas can also cause constpation
>though, so beware. Also avoid rice.
>
>HTH!

And carrots.

maestramommy
08-24-2006, 07:46 PM
Oh great! I've been feeding her rice every day for lunch and dinner!
What's a none constipating starch option?
Um, do you mean to say avoid carrots? I haven't given her carrots in ages because she wouldn't eat them. I was actually going to try again.

>>nak
>>
>>Yes, too much cheese can cause constipation. Fruits and
>>veggies should help. Bananas can also cause constpation
>>though, so beware. Also avoid rice.
>>
>>HTH!
>
>And carrots.

octmom
08-24-2006, 07:53 PM
Carrots actually seemed to help my DS when he was constipated. Maybe because they have high sugar content?

Jerilyn
DS, Sean 10/03
DD, Katie 3/06

"Baby makes days shorter, nights longer, home happier, and love stronger."

JBaxter
08-24-2006, 08:07 PM
Ripe pears were really moving with my boys.
Does Dora like sweetpotatos or butternut squash?

maestramommy
08-24-2006, 08:37 PM
At last attempt, no. This was a couple of weeks ago for the potatoes, and probably a month ago for the squash. I know you're supposed to keep trying, but it's getting discouraging buying and preparing food that she doesn't want to eat. Then I have to figure out what to do with it. I ended up pureeing the sweet potatoes with broccoli, adding applesauce, and freezing it in cubes. For 3 days she ate it mixed with plain yogurt. Now she doesn't want it, right after I went and bought a new quart of yogurt! And she won't eat it by itself. So there it sits in the freezer until I decide to try again.

jillc
08-24-2006, 09:54 PM
Hi Melinda,

I already read the previous posters' comments, so I see that you know that cheese is binding, and so are rice & bananas. At least you figured out the cause of the "issues". :)

Fruits that begin with the letter "p" are good with helping constipation problems. Think pears, peaches, plums/prunes.

My DD loves canned pears & canned peaches & my grocery store (Fry's) carries them in pear juice (vs. syrup). In fact, DD also likes prunes. I cut them all into tiny pieces.

Hope your little chickie gets things moving better soon!
Jill

maestramommy
08-24-2006, 10:51 PM
Thanks Jill! I'll look into finding canned pears and peaches in water or something. I'd try prunes but I only know of the "dried kind" which I don't think Dora would go for. You can buy prunes in a can?

JBaxter
08-25-2006, 06:28 AM
Just keep trying! All of my Ds have gone through food spurts ( liking somehting then not touching it again for months). My ped once told me he never saw a baby starve w/ food in front of them. She is still young I had a friend who's child refused almost all food until after 8 months. Another challenge in motherhood.

Moneypenny
08-25-2006, 08:41 AM
On your previous question about non-binding starch options, we do whole wheat couscous, brown rice and whole wheat pasta (ronzoni or barilla plus). DD will also happily eat plain whole wheat bread. I forget the brand of bread we get, but I think it has 5 grams of fiber per slice, which is really good.

Susan
mama to my cutie pie, Avery
http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_sapphire_24m.gif[/img][/url]

jgriffin
08-25-2006, 08:59 AM
>Oh great! I've been feeding her rice every day for lunch and
>dinner!
>What's a none constipating starch option?
>Um, do you mean to say avoid carrots? I haven't given her
>carrots in ages because she wouldn't eat them. I was actually
>going to try again.
>
>>>nak
>>>
>>>Yes, too much cheese can cause constipation. Fruits and
>>>veggies should help. Bananas can also cause constpation
>>>though, so beware. Also avoid rice.
>>>
>>>HTH!
>>
>>And carrots.
>

Sorry, should have been more clear. My ped said carrots can contribute to constipation. I haven't noticed one way or the other, though.