PDA

View Full Version : How many bottles?

JustMare
08-26-2006, 02:02 PM
I decided not to use the Dr. Brown's bottles I used with DS for two reasons 1) cannot shake powdered formula in them and 2) they explode on airplanes. I had 8 4oz bottles and 10 8 oz bottles and I know I had too many. I have all these expensive bottles and it kills me not to use them again but for the reasons listed above I can't stand them.

I don't want to over buy new bottles, I'd really like to get just what I'd need, I don't mind washing them. I really don't want them to accummulate in the dishwasher.

Would 4 4oz, 4 8oz and 3 11oz be enough? I plan to use powdered formula and think the 11oz would be a good size to shake in for 8ozs of formula (you need the extra space).

Right now my mind is blank and I can't remember how many bottles DS went through a day.

Thanks,
Mare

deenass
08-26-2006, 02:42 PM
Mare,

Maybe I missed something, but I just noticed your sig, CONGRATULATIONS on #2!

DebbieJ
08-26-2006, 09:56 PM
My sister uses powdered formula in her Dr Brown's bottles all the time. *shrug*

~ deb
DS born at home 12/03
2 year check up: 25 lbs with clothes on and 35 inches!
BFARed for 20 months and 6 days
(Breastfeeding After Reduction is possible! www.bfar.org)

http://www.bfar.org/members/fora/style_avatars/Ribbons/18months-bfar.jpg

JBaxter
08-27-2006, 07:06 AM
My sil shook powdered formula in hers too. *shrug*

JustMare
08-27-2006, 01:17 PM
Unless they've changed something from two years ago, this was not possible. They would leak. Plus they explode in airplanes due to the altitude. I even spoke directly with a Dr. Brown's representative at a Baby Expo explaining these problems and they were fully aware of them. Maybe they changed something recently.

My problem with the airplane travel is more of an issue. I was fortunate that we were on a short flight and my son fell asleep both ways and didn't want a bottle. They were useless in flight. The Dr. Brown's rep just told me not to use them and travel with a sealing cap on them. This is not a solution. What if baby wants his bottle on board. It has something to do with the pump why they explode.

We plan on traveling to Europe when the new baby is 6 months old. I need a "normal" bottle that trip.

Mare

JBaxter
08-27-2006, 02:43 PM
I used the playtex ventair w/ Nathan. I hated the avent bottles they gave him gas and he was a sloppy mess when he was done eating. I used formula from about 6 months w/ him and usually used powder but I never mixed it in his bottle. It had too many bubble and gave him gas. I mixed it in seperate container and left it sit over night then filled his bottles.

pingumel
08-27-2006, 09:40 PM
whoa! i didn't know they exploded in flight! did you fill them with water in flight and then they exploded, or did you fill them before you left the ground?

- mel

JustMare
08-28-2006, 09:57 PM
Since I couldn't shake the formula in the bottle, I used to make a batch of formula in a pitcher and pour it in the bottles then keep them in a bottle cooler bag since my son liked his bottles cold.

When I went to reach for a bottle, the bag was soaked and there was formula everywhere. On the return flight, we tried removing the pumps until in flight, made no difference. Bad leaking.

Thankfully, my son didn't require a bottle during the flights.

Mare

brownlesa
08-29-2006, 11:26 AM
I use Advent and have used them on a plane with no problem.

I have 4 4oz bottles-although DD was a big drinker, so we didn't use them for very long.

We have 12 9 oz bottles. DD drinks 4 bottles a day, so we have 3 days worth. By then the dishwasher is full and we can wash them all and fill them back up again.

HTH
Leslie

daniele_ut
08-29-2006, 11:27 AM
Weird, I used them with powdered formula all the time and shook them with no problems. We also flew several times with them and had no explosions! We did use the wideneck ones.

We later switched to Playtex Nursers with Silicone Natural Latch nipples, and these worked really well for us as well.