PDA

View Full Version : What kind of BP is best but won't break the bank?

robinsonbn
08-28-2006, 09:28 PM
Ok so once again I thought I had it all figured out and blamo wrong..I know bbb recomended the Isis IQ for a pump but I will be completely honest with everything else we have to buy I can't afford it. So I had decided on the Evenflo Comfort Select electric pump but then my teacher for child birth classes who is also a lactation consultant told me it was horrible. The only advice she gave was that Evenflo Elan was good. I looked it up and it looks interesting Has anyone tried it? What about the plain old Avent Isis Manual? Any other sugestions I really want a pump that works well comes with storage bottles or somthing besides just the pump and I would love it to be less than $120 am I asking to much? Oh and what about the Avent feeding essentials it comes with the sterilizer I was planning on getting, bottles and the Isis Manual good or bad idea? I am looking at all these pumps and some say go manual no problem others say must be electric...then everyone is reccomending all these brands to me...help!

Momof3Labs
08-28-2006, 09:38 PM
How often will you need to pump? A manual is probably adequate for a SAHM who pumps a few times a week, but is insufficient for a mom who goes back to work and pumps 2-3x a day, 5 days a week.

I'd personally stay away from Evenflo - many LCs know them better as the "Evil-flo".

robinsonbn
08-28-2006, 09:48 PM
I probally should have added that, I will be a sahm (i learn new code every day :) ) I will be pumping when he is being watched by either good ole dad, a grandparent, or a freind depending on what I have to do. So it won't be overly often just if I have to run an errand or need some sleep or to shower (which I hear happens rarely :) ) Also since I am finishing a degree there may be times I need to study, which I am hoping I can do without needing him watched but you never know. So I would say not that often. However, if for some reason (and I am praying this doesn't happen) he has latch problems or anything I will want to still give him breast milk providing this doesn't cause me to dry up. So when buying a pump I want it to be ok just incase I need it more often then expected.

Momof3Labs
08-28-2006, 09:57 PM
Well, I'd go with a manual (Isis and Harmony get generally good reviews). If he has latch problems and you have to pump exclusively, you'll want to upgrade to a hospital grade pump rental, realistically. It doesn't really make sense to plan for that contingency when you'll otherwise be at the opposite end of the pumping spectrum (pumping only occasionally).

Alternatively, see if you can find a good deal on a barely used Ameda Purely Yours (*not* the PIS since the Medela does not have a closed system) on eBay. You'll need to buy a new kit for it, which may put you a bit over your $120 total budget, but it would cover you for almost any scenario (including short-term exclusive pumping, if necessary). Though if you end up pumping exclusively long-term, the only way to really do that is with a hospital grade pump.

mariza
08-29-2006, 12:16 PM
I would do as the above poster suggested. You can get a hygeni-kit for about $40. Or if you are willing to pay a bit more for a brand new pump, you can get the Ameda Purely Yours pump by itself (no carry bag, no extra bottles/ accessories) for $149. It does come with 2 bottles to start, which should be enough for infrequent pumping. Or you can buy an Avent Conversion kit for about $10 and pump directly into Avent bottles. Or, Target has Circo Brand bottles (Avent knockoffs) on clearance for $3.48 for a pack of 3 bottles that should work too.
http://www.hollister.com/us/mbc/breastfeeding/where/locator.asp
I got a great deal on my Ameda 2 yrs ago from baby Center, it was $173 for the backpack version, but I honestly wish I got the tote or pump alone version. I just didn't pump enough to need all the extra's & the backpack is just too huge!

HTH!

Mariza
Mommy to my "Thing 1"
and soon to arrive "Thing 2"

writermama
08-29-2006, 03:26 PM
With DD#1 and similar pumping needs, I used an Isis (had a starter kit with sterilizer, too). It worked just fine for occasional use. I ended up using it about once a day and building up a freezer stash.

With DD#2, I bought an Ameda Purely Yours (the carry-all version, but honestly, I could have bought the pump-only version and some cheap bottles and just use my own bag). I figured that with a toddler to chase, I'd have less time to pump so I wanted a double electric. I've been using it for 2 weeks and I really love this pump. It's much faster and easy to clean.

Either pump would be a good choice in your situation.