PDA

View Full Version : Concerned about milk/liquid intake/weaning DS

jamsmu
08-29-2006, 10:11 PM
I'm trying to wean DS. He's been bfing about 4 times a day for months now. (I got rid of the fifth feeding about 6 weeks ago). We started him on milk last week. He's really disinterested. He drinks water from a sippy cup with no problem... but not milk.

Right now I'm trying to wean him from his pre-afternoon nap feeding and giving him a sippy instead. He hasn't actually turned to me to try to bf, he just takes a sip or two of milk and is done. This weekend, due to being in a wedding, I'll be weaning him from the pre-bed feeding--with babysitters giving the sippy.

Even at meals, when he used to drink water, we're giving him milk in a sippy cup. But he's not drinking more than a sip or two.

I was planning to wean completely by mid-Sept., but now I'm not certain it would be healthy. He needs his milk, right?

Am I doing this right? It was so much easier with DS1--but it happened over a longer period of time. Just not sure what to do.

TIA

JulieL
08-30-2006, 08:21 AM
Have you tried giving expressed bm in the sippy? I hear mixing bf w/whole milk is a good way to transition. I too am interested in hearing this as I"m looking to start weaning in about 6 weeks. I hear it may take a week or so for the kiddos to get the sippy figured out. But eventually thirst will take over. Anyway no true help here, just hope it works out :)

juliasmom05
08-30-2006, 08:35 AM
DD's not a big milk drinker either, but she eats plenty of cheese and yogurt, so I am not particulary worried. Does he eat cheese and yogurt? Fortified orange juice (for calcium)? I think there are plenty of foods that would give him enough protein, calcium and fat.
Here is a link that gives plenty of non-dairy alternatives.

http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/solids/toddler-foods.html#cowmilk

Another thing that may work to ease the transition to milk, is to mix it with water, and the slowly increase the concentration of milk over time.

HTH

Marci

Mom to Julia 4/05

buddyleebaby
08-30-2006, 01:31 PM
I started mixing dd's milk with Milo. She used to take just a sip or two and now will drink the whole cup. I put less and less powder in each time so now it actually is mostly milk with just a taste of Milo. ; )
Sh eonly drinks one cup a day, howver, and she still bf quite often.