PDA

View Full Version : Toddler with mild peanut allergy- can I still eat peanuts if BFing?

cdlamis
08-31-2006, 04:09 PM
Bella has a mild peanut allergy- she got a rash both times I tried introducing peanut butter. Older DD ate PB at an early age and we have no family history so I didn't think twice about giving it to Bella. But, it did bother her and now we are holding off until 3yrs+.

So, can I still have peanut butter since she is BFing? I don't eat it that often- maybe 2 PB&J sandwiches a week and some trail mix here and there.

Thanks for any advice.

Daniella
Mom to Julia 6/02
and Bella 12/04

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_gold_12m.gif

Elilly
08-31-2006, 09:18 PM
No. Check out kidswithfoodallergies.org There are a ton of very knowledgeable parents there.

writermama
09-01-2006, 03:17 PM
It's not advisable. You would be continuing to expose her to peanuts and running the risk of further sensitizing her (her mild allergy could become a severe one).

If other nuts aren't a problem for her, you could try other nut butters such as almond, cashew (my favorite), or soy. Check your local health food store for options.

crayonblue
09-02-2006, 08:06 AM
No, I wouldn't eat peanuts while you are nursing her. My daughter is allergic to peanuts. First exposure produced a rash. Second exposure (an accident) produced hives. I got her tested and she is highly allergic to peanuts. Now, I carry around an epi-pen and she wears a medalert bracelet.

Lovingliv
09-03-2006, 10:04 PM
Nope...don't do it...she gets it through your breast milk!

Have you tried soynut butter? I love it! We have the same issues and it is a pretty good stand in!