PDA

View Full Version : What to do about old pumped milk? How long to keep pumping?

maestramommy
08-31-2006, 05:33 PM
I was re-arranging my stash of pumped milk to make more room, and I found a bag with 3/5 oz. I pumped back in April. Is it too late to give this to DD? This is in a regular freezer. The next date on the milk is mid-June, so I know I don't have a lot of time before I have to use that milk for something, but she's doing great bfing on the routine we have, and doesn't seem to need extra. So I'm at a loss as to how to use that milk.

And while I'm on the subject, I was rearranging because I thought I didn't have any more storage space, but now I can probably continue to pump 2 oz/night for another 2-3 weeks maybe. Then I REALLY don't have any more room. This milk was supposed to be for emergency bottles, of which DD hasn't taken in a long time, and for transitioning to whole milk. I am paying $40/month to rent this hospital pump, and wondering when I can be done with it. Should I take my chances and just return it when I run out of storage space? She is eating yogurt and cheese with no problems either way, and yesterday my mom fed her a few spoons of ice cream, which didn't seem to affect her at all. She also eats mac n cheese, which I know uses a little cow's milk, and that's been fine. She has taken bm only in a bottle VERY warmed up (warmer than out of me, according to Dh) but I don't know how she'd react if I gave it to her room temp or cooler in a straw cup. I was thinking maybe I could offer it to her during meals instead of water as a transition?
Any thoughts on this? Welcome any suggestions or BTDT experiences.

pb&j
09-01-2006, 08:16 AM
Kellymom says frozen milk is good for 3-6 months. I'd use it.

If she doesn't need extra, I'd return the pump, and just hang on to the freezer stash for a little while longer, until she can transition to whole cow's milk.

-Ry,
mom to Emma, stillborn 11/04/04
and Max, 01/05/06

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/34550.gif
http://b1.lilypie.com/aKGqm5/.png[/img] ([img)

jgriffin
09-01-2006, 09:41 AM
I would thaw the milk from April and see how it compares to more recently frozen milk. With my freezer, I wouldn't have used it, but it wasn't such a great freezer. :) It's probably fine.

As for how long to pump, that's really such a personal decision. I stopped pumping very soon after E stopped nursing, mainly because it was a PITA to do, and we were going on vacation and I didn't want to bring a pump with me. If you return the pump now, you could always rent it again if you feel the need for more milk in the freezer (like if DD has a bad reaction to cow milk).

I'd say try giving DD cooler milk, to see if she likes it. She might surprise you. I thought E would be picky about the temperature of his drinks, but at home he's happy with cow milk (and formula before he stopped) straight from the fridge. At daycare it's another story, and we can't quite figure that out. The worse that will happen is she'll reject it, then you just go warm up the cup.

HTH!

maestramommy
09-04-2006, 01:05 PM
Well, I started giving DD bm in her straw cup on Friday with her dinner. It was thawed but pretty cold. She drank about 1+ oz. Since then she's taken it with her dinner, drinking about 2 oz each time, which is how much water she drinks. It's always about room temp or cooler. This has to be the easiest transition I've ever seen! It's like she doesn't notice it's not water. The funny thing is that even though she never finishes it, she's still eager to nurse at bedtime and empty me. So I guess I'll keep pumping until she's one and then maybe start adding cow's milk.

DebbieJ
09-04-2006, 08:06 PM
You can also use the thawed breastmilk to make french toast, pancakes, scrambled eggs, etc and feed those to her.

~ deb
DS born at home 12/03
2 year check up: 25 lbs with clothes on and 35 inches!
BFARed for 20 months and 6 days
(Breastfeeding After Reduction is possible! www.bfar.org)

http://www.bfar.org/members/fora/style_avatars/Ribbons/18months-bfar.jpg

maestramommy
09-04-2006, 10:56 PM
Wow! who knew there were so many uses? She can't have eggs (actually egg whites) yet, but hopefully by age one!

Lovingliv
09-05-2006, 10:03 AM
You can just make "yolk only" pancakes or frenchtoast.....my DD loved them!

maestramommy
09-05-2006, 11:54 AM
wow, really? I've been wanting to let her try pancakes for a while because we always have them on Saturdays, but we were using a whole egg. I'll have dh try it with just the yolk. Do you have to use 2 yolks to make up for it?

jgriffin
09-05-2006, 11:59 AM
I've made yolk-only french toast. E didn't like it so much, so I got to eat the rest. Wow...talk about decadent and tasty! :)