PDA

View Full Version : Need advice - back to work and DD never bottle-fed

citymama
09-02-2006, 12:32 AM
DD is 5.5. months old, and exclusively breast-fed. I know, I know, I should have introduced a regular bottle months ago, but since I've been home with her, it's been much easier to just nurse. DH has given her a bottle of pumped milk 4 or 5 times before - the last time being at 4 months - and she's taken it happily each time.

Now here I am, days before returning to the office (half-time only, thankfully) and worrying about how on earth she is going to go from nursing to drinking from a bottle, and worrying about whether I've built up enough of a stash! I have no idea how much she drinks during the 8-10 hours I'll be away - does 15 oz sound right to other pumping moms?

Any tips/advice about how we can help make sure she'll take a bottle from DH (who will be taking care of her 2 days/week)? Given that DD hasn't been away from me more than a couple of hours ever - I'm starting to get a little nervous! Any advice would be appreciated. Many thanks.

Maya

elliput
09-02-2006, 07:50 AM
Since your DD has taken a bottle from your DH in the past, there really should be no issue. I had a similar experience in which my DD had only taken a handful of bottles before I returned to work. It did take a few days before DD really got into eating from a bottle, but I knew that if she was hungry she would try as it is just normal instinct.

With regards to how much she will eat during the day- that is a difficult one to predict. My DD never ate more than 15 oz at daycare, but I know that some other babies there did. My advice on this is to make small volume bottles to start with. Try 5 3oz bottles as compaired to 3 5oz bottles. If she finishes the 3 oz bottles and is still hungry increase the volume by 1/2 oz. And go from there. If she doesn't finish the 3 oz bottles, just leave as is.

From my experience (and many other Mom's on this board), the changes involved with going back to work are much more stressful on you than on your baby. Hang in there and good luck!

HTH!