PDA

View Full Version : When and how did you introduce peanut butter?

jacksmomtobe
09-03-2006, 08:03 PM
I think I'm ready to introduce ds to peanut butter. I've waited this long to be conservative. I knew a Mom who had to deal with her son's allergy which has led me to wait since I had read the longer you wait to introduce a potential allergen the less likely an allergy is to develop. How did you introduce your child to peanut butter ie how much did you first give them? Will a reaction occur right away? I'm guessing ds will not be allergic since dh eat a lot of peanut butter and ds has probably come into contact with some traces of peanut butter. I've heard that a reaction typically occur the 2nd time a child is exposed to a food..is that correct? I'd appreciate everyone's advice before I take the plunge!

Thanks!

writermama
09-03-2006, 08:15 PM
Well, I was very cautious.

I had avoided peanuts while nursing (although I had a few "accidents" where I found out there were peanuts in something only after I ate it).

When DD was 2 and a half, we took her to the allergist. After her test results showed no sensitivity at all, we took her home and let her try some (on a cracker, I think). The allergist said that frequently parents do food challenges right in the office (and I was carrying a jar of peanut butter in my purse), but with her results we'd be safe taking her home.

ETA: I wanted to wait until she was 3 to introduce peanuts, but DH really wanted to introduce peanuts.

jillc
09-03-2006, 09:17 PM
Hi! We gave DD a few bites of a PB&J at about 18 months. We have no family history of allergies & DD has not shown any sensitivities to anything, either. She did fine. She loves PB&J, and also almond butter, too.

From what I've heard in talking to a couple moms of kids w/peanut allergies, you'll know right away if your DC is having a reaction. Even from a tiny taste. Hives, vomiting, facial redness, etc.

scarletsmommy
09-04-2006, 11:34 PM
I think DD was about 14 months when we gave her some. I made sure not to do it on the weekend (so her ped. would be available), early in the morning (to avoid late night ER trip), and during a week that DH was available (no big projects at work). I didn't give her more than a teaspoon and, like all the books say, no other new foods that week. I made sure before hand that neither of our families had a known allergy to it. All turned out well. She has a PBJ weekly! :)

hillview
09-05-2006, 07:28 AM
Our pedi said to wait til DS was 2 years old. We have no history of allergies nor does he. He didn't tell us how to introduce it (sorry) as DS is only 13 months. Good luck! You could always call your pedi nurse for tips.
/hillary

jacksmomtobe
09-07-2006, 12:10 PM
Just a quick update. I gave ds pb and all went well. I followed some suggestions to let him try it in the morning when I would be able to take him to the Dr's if there had been a bad reaction. Thanks for the feedback!