PDA

View Full Version : question re milk intake and weaning

vicster
09-05-2006, 12:25 AM
DS is 10.5 months old and has only had breast milk and solid food, never any formula. I'm feeding him first thing in the AM and before bed and pumping twice a day at work. For the last couple of months, DS has really cut down on the amount of milk he's taking from bottles (twice a day). He used to take anywhere from 5-6 oz but now will take only 3-4 each time. He gets yogurt for breakfast now also and so his pediatrian isn't concerned with him not drinking so much breast milk. We've already cut back on the solids some in the hopes that he will be more hungry for the breast milk but that hasn't worked.

We've been on vacation the last 2 weeks and he's had nothing but breast milk fresh from the source and no bottles and now that we're back, he's refusing the bottle completely. Given that he's already not taking much breast milk, I'm getting a little worried now because with the upcoming weaning, not sure where he's going to get the nutrition he needs.

Any advice for this situation? Thanks in advance.

missym
09-06-2006, 07:09 AM
Have you tried EBM in a sippy cup? I've heard that some moms use the EBM to make popsicles, too. Gwen refused bottles as a baby, so I know how frustrating this can be.

Missy, mom to Gwen 03/03 and Rebecca 09/05

** Want a penpal for your BBB kiddo? Send an email to:
[email protected] **

californiagirl
09-06-2006, 12:06 PM
Definitely try a sippy cup. DD dropped the bottle at about this age. It took us weeks to offer her milk in a sippy cup, and she guzzled it down with a sort of "You finally caught on!" expression.

vicster
09-06-2006, 05:00 PM
we'll try the sippy cup but when we've offered the sippy cup to ds before, he just chews on the end. we have the avent magic cup. any suggestions for others, preferably with the "safe" plastic? thanks in advance.

maestramommy
09-06-2006, 08:35 PM
How about a straw cup? DD still hasn't gotten the hang of sippy cup, but will take water in a straw cup. I just started giving her EBM in a straw cup and she didn't seem to notice the difference. I give it during meals like I have been with water. The Nuby cups have a nice soft straw if you'd like to start that way.