PDA

View Full Version : Nuby straw cup - am I missing something?

sethsmom
09-09-2006, 08:31 AM
Okay, I have two Nuby sippy straw cups which have worked really well for DS when we occasionally give him a bit of juice or water. However, as I pulled one out of the cupboard yesterday, I noticed they both were kind of gross where the silicone straw meets the plastic. I know the straw comes off the bottom, but is there another part that comes off to clean INSIDE of that conneting area? TIA

daniele_ut
09-09-2006, 10:06 AM
You can pull the whole silicone straw apart from the plastic top. I then use the brush that came with my Dr. Brown's bottles to scrub inside the whole straw and around the edge that meets the plastic.

nfowife
09-09-2006, 11:41 AM
It's a 3 part straw...is this what your straw looks like?
http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h15/nfowife/DSC03452.jpg
To wash them, I pull them apart and put them in a tupperware soaker container I keep (soapy water). Then every 3-4 days I rinse them all out, use a nipple brush on the wide "top" part (the silicone part), and put them in a medela steam bag with some water, and sterilize. Then I lay them out to dry. But I have about 12 of these cups and DD uses 2-3 a day.

maestramommy
09-09-2006, 10:55 PM
I use the same hot soapy water that I use to wash my pump parts. I bottle brush the cup, and use a Dr. Brown's brush to wash the straw parts, and also the parts of the lid that the straw adheres to because I found a little black there once in the crevices. Then I rinse and hang it up to dry in my bottle drying rack, with the straw parts in the basket.

sethsmom
09-10-2006, 07:11 AM
Got it! I thought I was about to break it when I had tried to get them apart before, but knowing it could be done made it easy. Thank you all SO MUCH for your help!

sethsmom
09-10-2006, 02:14 PM
Okay, I thought I had it, but now that I've taken everything apart and cleaned it, I can't get the straw back into the lid...

nfowife
09-10-2006, 06:41 PM
First I put just the silicone straw back into the lid, pull it through until the little circle thingy is properly in place (the sticky outy thing on the straw). Then, push the plastic colored piece into the bottom of the silicone straw, wiggling it side to side until it shimmys into the correct notch in the silicone straw. Last, push the frosted bottom straw into the plastic piece and you are all set. I can never get it if the straw is assembled beforehand, so I do it this way and it works well. HTH!

sethsmom
09-10-2006, 07:21 PM
That did it! I was also trying to put it in pre-assembled. Thanks!

SuzanneB
04-18-2007, 11:39 AM
I just wanted to say, this is why I LOVE this message board!

After 30 minutes of struggling with the *&$@&%$# straw trying to get it back in, I thought to myself, "where can I find the answer to how to get this thing put together? Of course, the Windsor Peak message board!" And sure enough my first search turned up this thread.

You saved my straw cup and my sanity. Thanks!!

Suzanne B

sethsmom
04-21-2007, 07:27 AM
LOL! It's always encouraging to know you're not the only one asking stupid questions, isn't it?