PDA

View Full Version : Playtex Premium Nurser - which kind of liner is safer?

jillc
09-10-2006, 01:38 AM
Hi All,

I'm shopping for a couple safer plastic bottles to try with DC#2 for when he'll need the occasional bottle.

One that I want to try is the Playtex Premium Nurser system, b/c I've seen that several of you use it & have already determined that the liners are made from a safer plastic (#4 maybe?).

I was shopping today & saw that there are two types of liners - the drop-in pre-formed bottle liner & the original soft bottle liner. Can anyone tell me which of these is a safer plastic? Any other pros & cons w/either of these types?

I'm hoping you can save me the time of calling Playtex. ;)

Thanks!
Jill

kaycee14
09-10-2006, 12:26 PM
Hi!
The pediatrician recommended the Playtex system because my DD was swallowing so much air and I've been very happy with it.

I use the drop-in style. Since they are shaped, they are much easier to use. You can place them in the bottle empty or full, you can wash and reuse them if you want, and they collapse nicely while baby is drinking.

The liner style must be stretched over the bottle before filling. I tried a couple a friend gave me and had a hard time with them. Maybe that was just my tiredness showing through or maybe they really are more tricky. :)

With either system Playtex says to squeeze the excess air out of the bag before feeding. They even make fancier bottles that are supposed to make this step easier. I bought the regular bottles and just squeezed the bag to remove the air - however, it takes a little time and I ruptured one bag in the middle of the night (all over the floor, the bed, me...) When I was more awake the next day, my DH and I looked it over and couldn't find any logical reason for squeezing out the air. I haven't done it since and it hasn't made a bit of difference except feedings are faster and easier.

Kathy
Mommy to a wonderful baby girl
http://b1.lilypie.com/IX8zm7.png

jillc
09-12-2006, 09:58 PM
Hi! Thanks for your thoughts - I appreciate it. The drop-in preformed liners definitely look much easier to use.

I called Playtex today to see what type of plastic each of the liner types (Drop-In Preformed Liners & Original Soft Liners) was made of. According to Playtex Customer Service, they're both made of #4 polyethylene.

This is great, since I was looking at this bottle specifically to avoid #7 polycarbonate.

In case this helps anyone else, I also called Gerber to inquire about the plastic used in the Clear View Nurser bottles, which I had heard was also not #7 polycarbonate. Per Gerber Customer Service, these bottles are made of #5, polypropylene.

Crossing my fingers that Baby Boy will accept one of these bottle types (actually, corresponding nipple types, I guess)when it's time for the occasional bottle!

Jill

shunter4
09-13-2006, 10:25 AM
Just wanted you to know...I use these, and Target has their own brand of liners...they are $2 cheaper than the Playtex, and are EXACTLY the same!

Stephanie

daisymommy
09-13-2006, 11:02 AM
Loving the Playtex nurser with the drop-in style liners! I personally hate the softer liners because you have to sort of "cuff" the top of it over the edge of the bottle top, and sometimes it slips off and milk leaks everywhere (not great when it's wasted precious breast milk!). I've never had a problem with the drop-ins though.

charmcitymama
09-13-2006, 10:29 PM
Thanks for doing the research! I use the Playtex system, except that the baby won't drink from it, but, that is what we *try* to use. My reasoning was that if I am nursing I am NOT going to be washing bottles, too! So, I am glad to know it is made from one of the safer plastics.

DrSally
09-14-2006, 11:50 AM
I used the Playtex system too on the rec of my LC b/c the nipple is more breast like. I agree with pp's that the drop-ins are easier to use and read the measurements. The bags do take a little extra work. Several times when someone else was making a bottle, they didn't put the cuff up high enough and either EBM or Expensive liquid Allimentum leaked all over. That said, bags are cheaper and I found Walmart bags to be even better (thicker than Playtex's) and $2. But if you're only doing the occasional bottle, I'm sure a box of liners will last a long time. Many places make generics. I didn't even know about the different kids of plastics, thanks for the info. On a side note, my LC also liked Evenflo Triumph (d/c) now called Elan.

Oh, and don't buy too many 4oz's, b/c they won't need them for long.

table4three
09-14-2006, 12:21 PM
I'm late in reading this post, but yes, the pre formed liner is safe. We did avent until I read more about dangerous plastics and then switched to the playtex nursers at about 10 months. still have a huge stash of avent to get rid of. hindsight is 20/20...

http://b2.lilypie.com/mkn7m5.png

Tondi G
09-14-2006, 04:34 PM
get the drop ins... don't bother with the others! Oh and we got a box of the Target brand ones one time when they were out of the playtex and we didn't like them at all! we love the playtex nurser and the drops ins!!!

~Tondi
Mommy to Mason 7/8/01 and Aidan 5/4/05

DrSally
09-14-2006, 06:04 PM
Can you point me in the direction of some reading on plastics? My sister used Avent and is planning on using the same bottles for DC #2. Like I said in pp, I'm ignorant on this issue. Thanks.