PDA

View Full Version : Anyone NOT thrilled with the hospital pumps?

dogmom
09-13-2006, 10:13 PM
I went back to work this week (night shifts at the hospital). I rented a Lactina hospital grade pump the week before I went back. I was previously using my PIS (old one, 8 year old) to build up my freezer supply during maternity leave. I have to say, I'm not getting any more milk with my Lactina. I am double pumping and getting under 5 0z a session. (I pump twice in a 12 hour sift) If I compare the amounts I get when I pump at home between feedings with what I was getting with the PIS they aren't really different. All let downs (I do more than once) pretty much occur in the first 5-6 minutes. I can pump 20 minutes with the PIS and not get any more than if I pump 5 minutes, for the most part. I'm wondering if the Lactina is not benefiting me because the point they kept stressing at the Lactation Consultants is that it only takes 10 minutes to pump. (It only takes me 10 minutes with my PIS). Any suggestions?

table4three
09-14-2006, 12:52 AM
Not sure if this will help any, but here is my experience.

I did find that the lactina was more effective at getting milk out. when my ds was born he was tube fed for 3 weeks, so i solely pumped. the pis wasn't adequate and i got miserably full to the point of tears for 3 days. the lactation consultant identified the problem and we switched to the lactina which was MUCH more effective for me in getting the milk out.

fast forward to when i went back to work 5 months later and was ebf. i work in a hospital too and used the lactina in the lactation room at work and my pis at home at that time (once ds started nursing i switched back to the pis because it was fine for my 1-2 times/day pumping). i never got the same quantity of milk at work as i did at home. i think is was a combo of stress, caffeine and dehydration at work. not sure.

my guess is that it might not be the pump but rather other things influencing the quantity of milk you are getting? perhaps the time of day is influencing it as well.

sorry for the rambling. not sure if this helped but just my experience. good luck!

http://b2.lilypie.com/mkn7m5.png

Tondi G
09-14-2006, 04:36 PM
My friend just went through this and the LC she saw for a 2nd opinion said the Lactina is not much more efficient than the PIS! She said the classic or the new Symphony is the way to go!!! My friend rented a Symphony and said it is great!

dogmom
09-14-2006, 08:01 PM
Great, I just $40 on parts for the Lactina. *SIGH*

Jeanne
Mom to Harvey
1/16/03
& Eve 6/18/06

tarahsolazy
09-15-2006, 10:17 AM
Well, those parts will work for the Classic or the Symphony as well, so no big loss there.

I never got any more milk with the Classic or the Lactina than I did with my PIS, and I also never got much after the first 10 minutes or so of pumping. So I'm the same as you, I guess. Both worked fine (I had access to them at work), but I usually chose to just use my PIS in my office instead of schlepping to the NICU for pumping times.

If the PIS is working OK, just use that, I say.

melbb
09-15-2006, 12:20 PM
Everyone responds differently to different pumps. I have heard some women that like/get more milk with the Lactina and others the Symphony. I EP (since 4 months) and was using a PIS. I decided that I wanted to try to increase my supply and rented a Symphony. My supply didn't increase, but it takes me a little less time to empty (25-35 minutes vs. 30-40 minutes) and it is much more comfortable than the PIS. It really is what has kept me going. I was ready to give up at the 6 month mark with my PIS because my nipples were sore all the time. You may want to try the Symphony and if it doesn't work, stick with your PIS. Also, I would be careful with the time that you pump. Ten minutes may or may not be enough time to empty. I also had a LC tell me not to pump beyond 10-15 minutes, but if I only pumped 10 minutes, my supply would plummet. I really need 30 minutes to empty (I have 2 letdowns within the first 5 minutes and then have letdowns every 10 minutes thereafter). Just monitor your output to make sure you aren't compromising your supply at all.