PDA

View Full Version : DD not gaining enough weight

BaileyBea
09-14-2006, 09:04 PM
I've been so upset and sad since Tuesday. We went to DD's 2 week old checkup and found out that DD had gained only 4 oz and is till about 10 oz below her birth weight.

In the hospital she had problems staying awake during feedings. We did feed every 2 hours. She still lost weight because she kept falling asleep. Since we've been home I have been feeding every 2.5 hours. She was a bit Jaundice and it took over a week for the meconium poops to stop. She wasn't pooping too often and it just wasn't getting out of her system. I have plenty of milk. I am pumping between 1.5-4 oz and I am nursing her as well.

I thought I was doing a good job until this weeks appt when clearly I am not doing that well. I've seen the Lactation Consultant 4 times already in two weeks. I feel like I am failing my DD. What on earth am I doing wrong here? I am doing the same thing I did for DS and he gained weight like a champ.

So the LC has me nursing her for 10 minutes on each side, then I am suppose to offer her a bottle w/1.5 oz, then I am suppose to pump.

Well I've been doing this for two days now and she's having a growth spurt at the same time. I am feeding her once an hour for 30 minutes... I kid you not! I am so tired. I can't seem to feed her enough and I am not refill as fast as she's emptying me out.

Does anyone have any good advice or inspiration during this super tough time for me and DD. How can I get some Oz on this little girl and not lose my mind in the process? We have another LC/Pediatrician appt next Tuesday. I was told to get her to her birthweight by then. I've been in tears over this. Trying everything I can. I even used formula today for the first time ever. I just was empty and she wanted more. I didn't know what else to do.

ETA> Adding more info... I was typing while nursing earlier.

elephantmeg
09-15-2006, 07:56 AM
Just wanted to send you some hugs and a couple ideas.

make sure you're pumping if you offer formula so your body keeps up with the demand.
drink lots of water
try oatmeal, and make sure you're eating enough, growth spurts are hard!

my guess is that she was jaundiced and therefore wasn't awake enough to eat and therefore your breasts weren't stimulated enough which caused a vicious cycle, but now that she's awake and starving your body should catch up again, but it takes a couple days.

I would continue to nurse on demand and suppliment only if your gut is that she isn't getting enough.

If you still have concerns see if your LC would do a before and after feed weight to see how much your baby is getting at a feeding.

Anyways, just wanted to respond, congrats on your new baby and hope things get better. You haven't failed her!!!!!!!!!

JBaxter
09-15-2006, 08:03 AM
Dont know if this helps but it took Nathan a good 3 weeks to get back to his birht weight. He dropped from 9lb8oz to 8lb9oz. he also grew longer in that time 21 1/2 to 22 3/4. So he was growing. Hows her diapers? 7-10 wet and couple poos?
Hang in there!

secchick
09-15-2006, 08:28 AM
DD was much the same, but she was 7 lb 13 oz at birth, 7 lb 6 oz when we left the hospital and was only 7 lb 5.5 oz at her 2 week checkup. She was incredibly sleepy and no one, not even the LC could wake her up to feed and at that point she was sleeping 4 hrs at a time at night. My pediatician enourage me to feed her every 3 hours and wanted me to come in the next week for another weigh-in. I started being more diligent about waking her up and still fed her only BM. She was 8 lbs one week later.

I don't have any other advice for you, just know that you probably don't have to worry as much as you are (I did too), and that you may very well not need to suppliment. And drink water like a fish. Seriously. I got a giant thermal straw cup in the hospital and I would drink the entire amount, at least 24-30 ounces every time I nursed. I also never did the timing/side switching thing. I for the most part let her nurse one side every feeding for as long as she wanted and then switched for the next.

MNmomtobe
09-15-2006, 10:06 AM
My DD had the same issue when she was born and went home on a bili blanket for 2 weeks. She was too lethargic to nurse and my milk didn't come in til 4 days postpartum. I kind of panicked and started to supplement with formula because her bili level kept climbing. She was about 6 lbs at birth and now weighs over 14 lbs at 3 1/2 mo! I always felt sad as I feel that adding formula that soon (her first week) made me get lazy about BF and soon my supply was gone. I really wished I had been more patient with BF but I do know what you mean about feeling like DC isn't getting enough.
The first few weeks are tough but your supply will catch up to DC's demands. Don't feel bad about leaning on the LC. Their job is to advise and support you.

tarahsolazy
09-15-2006, 10:12 AM
If you are pumping, I hope the bottle you are offering is milk, not formula. I'd be very suspicious of any doctor or LC who told you to give formula when there was human milk available.

It sounds like maybe her growth spurt is taking care of the problem! She's probably finally woken up and realized, MAN, I am HUNGRY!

If she's making lots of poopy and wet diapers, I'd ditch the bottle and just let her nurse, as much as she wants. The more she nurses, the more milk you will make. Don't worry about being empty, you are constantly making milk!

Hang in there, the first few weeks can be so tough.

citymama
09-15-2006, 01:00 PM
This must be very rough on you, especially going through all the rest of the post-partum ups and downs! I wanted to let you know what our wise and very pragmatic pediatrician told us when DD was born earlier this year (at under 6 lbs): most babies regain their birthweight by 3 weeks, and as long as baby has wet diapers and seems to be emptying your breasts (or they feel less full after she feeds), there is no reason for alarm. Of course, you should definitely consult pediatricians and LCs for real, live advice (which you are doing).

You also mentioned she is having a growth spurt, so hang in there and hopefully she'll have gained back her birth weight by her 3 week appointment!

All the best to you and your new baby - congratulations!

jgriffin
09-15-2006, 01:54 PM
Hnag in there, she'll gain weight and nursing will get easier! I will second (third?) what a PP said, drink lots of water. I kept a large glass of water, with a straw, next to me whenever I nursed, it really helps. Also remember to eat; I had a hard time eating early on because I was just so tired, I would forget. You need the calories to take care of you and your newborn.

Are you able to feed her in bed? I was able to take catnaps while nursing E sometimes by having him in the side-lying position (I think that's what it's called).

If you can help it, try not to give her too much formula. Her nursing will stimulate more milk production (she's basically telling your body that she needs you to make more milk). If you substitute formula for ebm, your body won't get the message that you need to ramp up production. But I know it's hard...when doctors and LCs are telling you to do something, and you're sleep deprived, it's difficult to have coherent thoughts sometimes!

Best of luck, you can do it!

Jen

Tondi G
09-15-2006, 03:28 PM
another option is to get some breast milk fortifier to add calories to expressed milk instead of offering formula!

http://www.enfamil.com/products/formulas/i_1_13.html

You are doing a great job! As long as your little one is having plenty or wet and dirty diapers and is eating at least every 3 hours she will be fine! My first nursed for 45 minutes every 2 hours so I got maybe an hour break in between.... I thought I was going to lose my mind. He was just a HUNGRY little guy and was growing rapidly! With any luck this growth spurt will give her the extra weight she needs to satisfy your ped! I know it's easier said than done but relax and breathe. You are not failing your child in fact it's just the opposite.... you are hanging in there through a tough period... soon nursing will be a breeze and all this will be behind you!

HUGS and Good Luck

~Tondi
Mommy to Mason 7/8/01 and Aidan 5/4/05

Wife_and_mommy
09-15-2006, 05:45 PM
Hang in there! It's really tough in the beginning but so worth it as you well know. :)

Hugs to you!

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_gold_12m.gif[/img][/url]

http://b1.lilypie.com/QQKqm4.png
http://b3.lilypie.com/UnbPm4.png