PDA

View Full Version : Is this a growth spurt or a need for comfort?

mommyoftwo
09-15-2006, 02:58 PM
Linnea has been nursing pretty much non-stop since yesterday. She won't eat any solids (normally she eats quite well) but acts like she is starving. She was up 4 times last night nursing for 30-60 minutes at a time. Today she has been nursing every 20 minutes or so except for when she took a nap (thank god she took a nap because I feel like she is sucking my dry). I know she has been teething lately, but I don't think that is the problem because she's not biting me and I think all of her teeth have come in. The last week has been so traumatic for her that I'm wondering if this is her way of coping and getting to comfor that she needs. Otherwise it could be a growth spurt but then wouldn't she want to eat solids? I'll drink tons of water in the mean time and also drink mother's milk tea to boost my supply. Help! I didn't get any sleep last night and I'm dying here. Any ideas?

Tondi G
09-15-2006, 03:16 PM
Could it be molars coming in??? That was my first thought! Has anyone had a cold lately? I found when my kiddo was coming down with something he often wanted to nurse more rather than eat solids! Myabe try giving her some Motrin before bed and see if that helps at all.... it should if it's her teeth!

Good luck.... hope tonight is a better night for you so you get some much needed rest!

~Tondi
Mommy to Mason 7/8/01 and Aidan 5/4/05

mommyoftwo
09-15-2006, 03:47 PM
She had one episode of diarrhea yesterday but otherwise seems fine. Amelia had diarrhea a couple of times last week so it's possible that they had some bug. It never seemed to bother Amelia or affect her eating so my guess is that her nursing frequency is not related. She only has eight teeth so there are certainly more that need to come in. However, she got four in the last two weeks so I wouldn't think she would be getting more so soon. I think I'll try motrin anyway. It can't hurt.

DrSally
09-16-2006, 08:12 AM
My DS has been doing the same! Very clingy, wanting to nurse all the time, not as interested in the solids, up A LOT at night. But with him, I'm pretty sure it's the teething. It's taken FOREVER for his 2nd upper front tooth to come in. I feel like I shouldn't be giving so much tylenol, but he's always in pain. If it's not teething for your little one, I would think it is a growth spurt? I also notice DS nurses more frequently right before and during my period, prob b/c of reduced supply?

MommyAllison
09-17-2006, 04:06 PM
Thought I would check in since it's been a couple of days. I think it sounds like comfort nursing, esp with the craziness of life for you guys lately! Hope she has settled back into life and you both are getting some sleep!

Allison
http://b1.lilypie.com/XvRAm8/.png[/img][/url]

mommyoftwo
09-17-2006, 05:58 PM
Thanks so much for checking in on us. Unfortunately, Linnea is still nursing like a maniac and not wanting to eat solids. It has gotten slightly better since I first posted but not much. She just doesn't want to do much but nurse. She seems much more content if she is not with me, but as long as I am around she wants to nurse every few minutes. She only woke up three times last night but she was still nursing forever when she was up. This nurse for an hour in the middle of the night business is rediculous. Yesterday my dh took the girls for the afternoon so I could get my massage (I had a gift certificate from our anniversary) and take a nap and she did fine but once she came back it was all over. Things are settling into a little bit more of a normal routine however I'm utterly exhausted from everything that happened the last couple of weeks. Having chronic fatigue syndrome is not helping. Hopefully, I can get a bit more rest and be feeling better soon. Any suggestions on how to cut back on the nursing?

MommyAllison
09-17-2006, 08:44 PM
Oh I am sorry :( I was hoping for a "back to normal" update. My DD is the same way sometimes - she is fine until she sees me, then she remembers how hungry she apparently was. Are you co-sleeping? That makes it easier on me. I would probably just grab some good movies and resign myself to a day or two of nursing on the couch - but I know that probably doesn't work so well with Amelia. I will be praying for you to get some good rest! Maybe a super fun playdate would help distract her? Big hugs to you!

Allison
http://b1.lilypie.com/XvRAm8/.png[/img][/url]

mommyoftwo
09-19-2006, 09:18 AM
Well, I'm pretty certain it was a comfort thing and we are finally making some progress. Yesterday she finally are more normally. She had ham for lunch and dinner and a snack of applesauce before bed. She still nursed more than normal but it was a lot better. She also is not nursing as much at night though she is still nursing for over an hour during one of her feedings. I think things are finally starting to settle down a bit so hopefully things will continue to get better and I can work on eliminating or at least cutting down on her night feedings.