PDA

View Full Version : Extended nursing biting

elephantmeg
02-24-2007, 06:11 PM
DS is a year and still BF 3-4 times a day (awakening, am nap, pm nap and bedtime). He is also a late teether and just 2 days ago cut his first top tooth and has one more top tooth coming in. Since we were down to so little nursing and he eats so much solids he doesn't really "need" to nurse by a nutritional standpoint, it was more comfort etc. But he hasn't nursed since yesterday morning (I've pumped a couple times), he's bitten me every time. What do I do now? I was hoping to nurse at least until this summer, just a couple times a day but I do have a bunch of EBM in the freezer I could give him (for the antibodies). If I do wean, how do I go about that? I'm sad....

elliput
02-24-2007, 07:48 PM
First off- hugs to you! I remember the biting stage and thought that it was enough to make me want to stop right then and there. However, it is a short lived stage and your DS is just trying to figure out what the new chompers do. If you are willing to put up with a little bit of pain over the next few days he will stop biting, I promise! :-)

elephantmeg
02-24-2007, 08:52 PM
thank you!!!!!!! Did you pump in the mean time?

Momof3Labs
02-24-2007, 10:00 PM
DS2 has ten teeth now (first was at 3 months!!) and with each new tooth, we have a couple of days where he will chomp down while nursing. And then everything returns to normal. So, if you can, give it another day or two and hopefully all will be better!

C99
02-25-2007, 12:08 AM
When my DS started to bite me repeatedly (not related to teething), I realized that he was trying to tell me that he was done nursing. He was older than your DS - 20 months - and I was pregnant, so my milk had changed a lot. YMMV.

MommyAllison
02-25-2007, 01:26 AM
My DD didn't get teeth that early, but we've had the exact same experience. Each tooth seems to take a day to get used to - her latch changes a bit, and she bites sometimes. After biting, I break her latch, say "no biting" firmly, and pout ;) for 15-20 minutes. After that, she can try nursing again. If she bites again the second try (which has only happened once), she is done and has to fall asleep without being nursed. Hugs! I know it is so painful. :(

Allison
Mama to DD 11/05

pb&j
02-25-2007, 08:32 AM
DS went through a couple of day biting phase/nursing strike right before he turned one. I had planned on weaning him after his birthday, and was sad that it might be ending earlier. However, after about two days of no nursing, I tried one last time, and he latched fine, and continued to nurse till we weaned after his birthday. I did pump once, IIRC, just to relieve engorgement.

-Ry,
mom to Max the one year old
and my girl in heaven

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/37124.gif

elliput
02-25-2007, 09:13 AM
Yes, but I was pumping at work which I believe is a little different circumstance than you have. Hang in there!

Radosti
02-26-2007, 12:18 PM
My little monkey bit me really hard when he was teething. One of his bottom teeth went completely into my nipple. I screamed, he screamed. It bled a whole lot and I couldn't pump because it would bleed and he wouldn't nurse because it would bleed.

I ended up having to hand express for about 24 hours. Luckily, I was on antibiotics for an ear infection, so that helped it heal fast. He didn't bite again (not on purpose). I guess the screaming is a big detractor for him. He did bite me again recently, but he was asleep and his jaws clamped down. Nothing he could have done to avoid it.

I also want to get him through the flu/cold season, so I'm continuing. But he's not getting more than 7 ounces from me at this point per day. Big change from the 50+ ounces he took when he was 6 months old. The kiddo can eat.

elephantmeg
02-26-2007, 12:29 PM
At the LC's suggestion I've continued to try. This morning he wouldn't nurse in the chair so I took him to the computer, he latched, sucked 2-3x and then bit down. I told him no bite and tried again, same thing. He never really asks to nurse, but was obviously hungry and started to cry. So I gave him a cup of milk and all was well. Gave him motrin. Then before nap I gave him a couple teething tablets and tried again, he was fussy, but wouldn't latch, I put him down in his crib and he fell asleep. I have milk, I can hand express a couple oz's and pump 4-5 and he'll drink the milk from a cup. I wonder if he's just done? I'll keep trying a few more days just to make sure I guess.. :)