PDA

View Full Version : Help!!!!!! In need of advise for breast pump!

courtlucky13
03-15-2007, 06:18 PM
I am due in a couple of days and have been looking at ALL of the different types of breast pumps and don't know what would be the best for me. My mom never used one, so I am looking for some help reguarding this little matter. I want my husband to be apart of the feeding process, so he doesn't feel left out of the loop! I am not currently working as of now and will not be returning to work for at least 6 months. Should I go with a manual for now and invest in an electric one for when I return to work? Thanks for all of your help. Courtney

jillc
03-15-2007, 06:28 PM
Hi Courtney,

I have both a manual (Avent Isis) & an electric (Medela Pump in Style), and I much prefer the electric. I used the Medela PIS to pump one bottle each morning when DD was nursing. I also purchased the Isis to use on rare occasions when I went out & it was tough to bring the PIS. Like when we went to a pro baseball game & I thought I might have to pump in my seat or in the bathroom. I found the Isis to be noisy & also it took a lot longer for me to pump the same amount of milk that I could get quickly w/the PIS.

Especially if you think you'll eventually be pumping a lot, like when you go back to work, I'd go straight for the electric.

HTH & best of luck!
Jill

JenDC
03-15-2007, 08:52 PM
Unfortunately, there's no right answer for this. But if you plan to go back to work while still nursing, you may as well invest in the best electric pump you can afford, even if you don't use it a lot in the beginning. I started out with the Avent Isis manual- while many love it, it didn't work well for me. Then I got the Medela Double Select mini-electric, which was a little better. But if I had to do it over again, I'd buy a Medela PIS/PISA or an Ameda PY from the start, even though I am a sahm. Pumping is such a pain that it makes sense to have it go as quickly and easily as possible.

Jen
mom to Shoshana 3.29.06

writermama
03-16-2007, 03:04 PM
tough question. I'm a SAHM and had only an Isis with DD#1. I liked it fine, except when my hands hurt (I had pregnancy carpal tunnel that lasted a few months after the birth). It usually took me about 15 minutes to pump 4 or 5 ounces and I sometimes wished I could do both sides at once.

For DD#2, I got a Ameda PY -- I LOVE it. If I had it to do over again, I would have gotten that first. I can pump 4-7 ounces in 5 minutes (though that might also be because I've learned to pump better). It is easy to clean and easy to use.

If it were me and I were planning on returning to work, I'd definitely go with the electric. And even if I were staying home, if I could swing the cost, the convenience is really worth it.

MaddiesMommy
03-16-2007, 09:37 PM
I agree with the others. Go with an electric if you can. I have a Medela PIS and am so glad I invested in it. There are lots of threads on pumps and the different models. You could do a search if you want more info.

HTH! Good luck with your delivery!

Janine

gina
03-17-2007, 10:46 AM
I am a SAHM and have a Medela PISA. I used it a lot at first but My baby did not (would not) take bottles and it was a hassle to pump when I was with her all day anyway. So it was worthless for us. I wish I had something small and simple for relieving engorgement, etc. But I agree with all the other posters. If you can afford it and you are going back to work and definitely want to do bottles, get the electric. The Medela is a good one, it was just way more than what I needed. Or you might consider renting one until you find out if you will be working.

Gina

http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w132/ginaelms/Dec06020.jpg

DD 15 yr Jade
DD 12 mo - Happy First Birthday Olivia!

maestramommy
03-18-2007, 04:14 PM
I'm a SAHM and I had an Avent Isis manual at first. It worked beautifully for the first 6 months, though I kept losing milk out the other side everytime I got a letdown. After 6 months I just couldn't seem to pump enough to keep up with Dora's needs, and she was only getting one bottle a day. I ended up renting a hospital pump until she was about 1. This time around I'm starting out with an Ameda PY. I think if you are going back to work start out with a good electric. It'll make a huge difference.

jyllebean
03-18-2007, 08:20 PM
I'm also a SAHM and invested in the Medela PIS original. I totally think it's worth it. My DD is only 2 months old but I can't imagine having to sit there and pump manually one side at a time. Some mornings it's hard to find 5-10 mins to pump while she is preoccupied with something else, let alone 15 mins for each side which is what a manual might take. So in my opinion it's worth it to go with the electric even if you will only be pumping occasionally. That said, I bought my pump before the baby was born, but didn't actually start pumping until she was 3 weeks old and we gave her her first bottle at 4 weeks. So you could wait until after the baby to buy the pump... but you might not want to worry about it then. Check online before you buy the pump. I bought mine at drugstore.com for $199 with free shipping, while at BRU it's $250. HTH- Jill

courtlucky13
03-18-2007, 08:29 PM
I just want to say thanks for all of your help! I am going to be purchasing the Ameda TY pump. I think it will be the best one for me. Again thanks for everything. You all are a lifesaver! Courtney