PDA

View Full Version : low iron

m4nash
03-16-2007, 09:14 AM
My 12 mo DS is anemic. His iron was 9.3 at his one year checkup, down from 10.8 at 9 months. We had tried to feed him more iron rich foods for the last three months and his iron went down farther. He doesn't really eat much and still nurses a ton. He will only self feed solids. Our ped had us put him on iron drops after his most recent checkup. I guess I just want to make sure we are doing everything we can to get his iron up to normal. I am really concerned about it. Does anyone have any BTDT advice? Thanks in advance.

~Michelle

ellies mom
03-16-2007, 04:27 PM
The Cheerios brand of cheerios is fortified with iron. I just put a handful in front of DD at every meal and for snacks as well. The drops were too traumatic. It ended up being temporary anyways.

jgriffin
03-16-2007, 05:05 PM
I haven't quite BTDT, but sort of. E had an iron test at his 15mo checkup and it came up low, but still within range. Our ped recommended either iron drops or chewable vitamins, but only on days when he doesn't have a good serving of an iron-rich food. Based on what I heard about the iron drops (i.e. they're yucky), we went with the chewables. I crush an entire Flintstone's (with iron) vitamin into a fine powder, then put half in some applesauce, saving the other half for another night. Iron absorption is best with citrus fruits and worst with milk (or milk products), so planning meals around the iron drops/vitamins/iron-rich foods can help. Iron from meat is also the most easily absorbed, but it's not so easy getting a toddler to eat meat.

Our daycare provider also has bouts of low iron, so she is sensitive to the situation and tries to give the kids a serving of beef, lentils, or other beans for lunch 3 or 4 times a week. E loves beans, and I frequently give him plain kidney beans or peas with dinner. I haven't worked up the courage to make lentils again (I had one disasterous experience), but apparently he loves them, too.

We haven't had his iron checked again, but probably will at his 2yr checkup.

Hope this is a little helpful!

Jen

luvsviola
03-16-2007, 07:34 PM
Have you had your iron checked? I am anemic, so I won't be surprised if DD is as well from nursing, since she gets her iron from me.

Good luck!!!

m4nash
03-17-2007, 08:30 AM
He has Cheerios with his breakfast and as snacks, but really doesn't eat many. Luckily, he actually doesn't seem to mind the iron drops at all. I give them to him straight from the dropper and he just swallows them down. Hopefully this is temporary for him too. Thanks for the advice.

m4nash
03-17-2007, 08:33 AM
DS loves beans too. I've been trying to give him some with his dinner as often as possible. I've never tried lentils. I guess I'll have to pick some up. Are they difficult to prepare?

I haven't had my iron checked, but had thought that I probably should just to be safe.

Thanks everyone!

SnuggleBuggles
03-17-2007, 11:28 AM
Yeah, I was going to suggest that you take a vitamin or iron suppliment.

Beth