PDA

View Full Version : Supply problems?

babysophia
03-17-2007, 07:51 PM
Let me start by saying that I had major supply problems with my first child. I had three lactation consultations. I tried Reglan, Fenugreek and Blessed thistle, and pumped nonstop when DD wasn't nursing or when I was a work, but she still needed formula. I know that lots of people say that *every* woman can breastfeed and no formula is necessary, but this was really not true for me. My sister had similar problems with her two children, so it is really not for lack of trying.

This time around (DD2 is 8 weeks), I am not doing much better. I am renting a hospital pump because I did not get much milk with the PISA from DD1. I met twice with a lactation consultant. I breastfeed as much as I can, and pump every 3 hours when I am away. I am using a supplemental feeder so she doesn't get too used to the bottle. I am taking fenugreek. But, whenever I pump, I can only get 2 ounces max. My breasts never really feel uncomfortably full, although I do leak breastmilk. DD has a good latch, and feeds well, but she just doesn't get enough. Does anyone have any other suggestions for boostimg my milk supply? I feel like I am doing everything I can. With my first, I felt horribly inadequate for not being able to keep up with my baby's needs, especially when people would insist that I wasn't trying hard enough. This time, I am not quite so emotional about it, but I just want to be sure she gets as much breastmilk as I can make.

TIA!

kimbe
03-17-2007, 08:03 PM
I am so sorry that you are having supply problems again. I don't have much advice except that I have heard that oatmeal will also boost your supply. I just wanted to offer you some support and let you know that I am sending you some supply boosting vibes! I am really sorry that people are judged you and told you that you weren't trying hard enough with your first DD and I hope that you aren't having that same experience now. You are doing a wonderful job and your DD will benefit from anything that you can give her.

Hang in there and big hugs to you!

wencit
03-17-2007, 10:06 PM
I wanted to give you some support, too. It sounds like you're doing the best you can for your baby. Kudos to you for trying so hard. The only additional advice I can think of is to make sure you're drinking enough water. It can be easy in the early days with a newborn to forget to drink enough liquids, but make sure you stay hydrated. Oh, and remember that the baby is much more efficient at removing milk than any pump, so put your baby to your breast as often as you can.

Good luck! Also remember that any breastmilk is better than no breastmilk at all, so you're doing a good thing for your baby!

IsaacsMom
03-18-2007, 07:52 AM
I'm sorry you're having problems. You are doing such an amazing thing for your baby!! I had supply problems with Isaac at first and I felt so guilty about it, it's time to let that guilt go! You are doing everything you can, and every drop of breast milk your baby gets is wonderful.

Keep hydrated, oatmeal for breakfast are both good ideas as well. Two ounces isn't that bad for pumping, it's hard to "let down" for a pump.

Lara

dowlinal
03-19-2007, 12:28 AM
I could have written your post last year. I was unable to successfully make enough milk to nurse my first daughter and things weren't much better the second time around. I tried everything w/ no noticible increase in supply and I was ready to give up when I discovered Goats Rue. I started using More Milk Special Blend available from motherlove here http://www.motherlove.com/product_more_milk_special.php and it was literally a miracle cure for us. We were able to stop supplementing within a few weeks and my daughter is now 13 1/2 months old and still nursing.

A great resource is lowmilksupply.org. They have a ton of information about increasing supply and there is a whole page on the benefits of Goat's Rue.

twinklegal
03-21-2007, 01:18 AM
Hang in there. I was in the same boat as you. My supply was terrible. I linked the decrease to two things: my weight loss and not getting enough fluids in the day. For awhile there (when DD was 4 mo), I was just so busy running around getting stuff done that I would forget to eat and consequently, I lost too much weight too quickly. That coupled with dehydration made my supply nosedive. I took fenugreek, gained some weight, and drank water until it came out of my ears. I also spent one day (24 hrs)focused on just feeding. I did nothing else. It worked. I got my supply back. But with a dawdler (DD plays around too much. Doesn't focus on eating as she should), it is hard to maintain an abundant supply.

BTW, it just seems to me that most of the people in my sphere only pump around 2 oz (max) during the day. The first pump in the morning is the only time we ever get more than that. I don't know. You're certainly not alone.

I hope you find that something that works for you. Take care!

babysophia
03-21-2007, 06:09 AM
Thank you everyone for your support. I am taking the More Milk tincture, but unfortunately without much success (and it tastes horrible, haha!). Does anyone know how long it takes to work? My pumping output over the past few days has continued to dwindle, and my breasts have stopped leaking and I don't get engorged anymore. I am trying to drink more fluids, and I am off to get some oatmeal today. I think that it is hard for me to maintain a good diet because my DD is colicky and I have had to limit many foods, including dairy. When she drinks formula, it is nutramigen, so she is just very sensitive. I know that some breast feeding is better than none at all, but I am getting pretty stressed about it (she is only 8 weeks old!) and that can't be helping.

Susan

jniter
03-21-2007, 07:16 AM
I didn't have much luck with Mother's Milk.

I've been drinking the nursing tea from www.herblore.com
Works in 24 hours and is a mild, tasty tea. It has chammomile, fennel, raspberry leaf, goats rue...some other stuff? I know a bunch of mommies w/low supply who have used it and says it helps.

Hang in there! At 8 weeks, I think I was only pumping a max of 2 oz after an entire day of pumping. It's much better now.

dowlinal
03-21-2007, 07:39 AM
Susan,

Are you taking more milk or the more milk special blend? The special blend has goats rue, but the regular one does not. Only the special blend worked for me. I didn't pump, but I think it took about 3-4 days to feel a difference. FWIW - I was never able to pump very much even after my supply increased and we were able to stop supplementing.

egoldber
03-21-2007, 07:50 AM
It is normal for your breasts to normalize and no longer leak.

Some people just don't let down well for the pump but are able to breastfeed just fine. And at 8 weeks, I really think that 2 ounces at a pumping session isn't bad at all. My LC says that it takes 3-4 days of consistent pumping at a regular time to see an increase in supply at that time.

Is she gaining weight? How many wet and dirty diapers is she having a day?

o_mom
03-21-2007, 08:04 AM
How do you know she isn't getting enough? It is normal not to leak or be engorged any more. Pumping has no relation to how much milk she is getting either.

babysophia
03-21-2007, 12:28 PM
Well, I breastfeed for as long as DD will take it, usually up to one hour. But in the evenings, I will keep trying to put her back on the breast, sometimes up to two hours (good time to watch American Idol). But, after she pulls herself off, she is still rooting, putting her fist in her mouth,has that "hungry" crying, etc, so if I give her a bottle, she will then drink 4 ounces of nutramigen. She takes medication for reflux, which I think is working, so that is not the problem (anymore). She hasn't been to the ped for awhile (she has her 8wk visit tomorrow), but my guess is she is growing very well (all that formula, probably).

babysophia
03-21-2007, 12:32 PM
I am just taking the regular stuff, that is what they had at Whole Foods. I guess I can order the special blend if I can't find it locally. Thanks!
Susan

egoldber
03-21-2007, 12:49 PM
So is she only getting the one 4 ounce bottle a day? In that case, its NOT the formula that is making her thrive its your breastmilk. :) FYI, my DD would seriously nurse all day long if I let her. All. Day. Long. The pacifier has been a blessing for us because she has a VERY strong need to suck.

It is also very normal for babies to fuss and cry in the evenings. My DD wants to nurse all night even at 5 months! For her, she just has a very strong need to suck and that is how she settles herself down in the evenings. Many, many, many babies will take a bottle even after they have nursed. For a baby with a strong need to suck, they will suck on the bottle and swallow the contents because they have to, KWIM?

babysophia
03-21-2007, 12:53 PM
Oops, I think I did not make myself clear. She will take a 4 ounce bottle after EVERY time I nurse. And during the day, when I am at work, she will take even more. She goes through a bottle of ready to feed nutramigen after a day and a half.

Susan

o_mom
03-21-2007, 01:17 PM
Have you done any kind of test feeding with a lactation consultant? That is where you weigh the baby, feed the baby and then weigh her again without changing any diapers or clothes. If she is eating well during a test feed, then the formula could just be a sucking thing as Beth said - babies with high sucking needs will continue to eat at a bottle even after they are full.

I know all too well that feeling of nursing for an hour or two nad then five minutes later they are rooting and fussy. It usually means a growth spurt, which could explain some of it. Will she go back on the breast at that point? How often are you switching sides during the long feedings? If you can stand it at all, let her nurse as much as she will all evening, even if it means laying in bed with her for a few hours. A baby is the best way to increase supply.

Since you are at work, it is much harder to boost supply during the day, but I'm wondering if your pump settings are off or maybe you need to replace some parts (the little white flappy things on Medelas tend to need replaced often).

Good Luck!

amandabea
03-21-2007, 04:03 PM
Oh my goodness, I'm so glad I read through this thread. I returned to work yesterday and am freaking out that I can't pump enough to feed my baby girl. She's eating 6 ounces per feeding and I will be missing 3 feedings per day and I'm blowing through the limited supply of frozen breastmilk that I was able to build up in the weeks prior. So far I can pump 5 ounces first thing in the morning and then it dwindles to 2 ounces after that. I've been so distraught and feeling like such a loser. I don't know if I'll be able to get by without supplementing, but I'm definitely going to get the Motherlove that was mentioned and increase my liquid intake.
thanks!
Amanda

egoldber
03-22-2007, 06:52 AM
ACK! Sorry I misunderstood.

jniter
03-24-2007, 06:55 AM
4 oz after every feeding?

Wow, that is a lot for a baby that is only 8 weeks old to eat, especially if you're already nursing her beforehand.

I would see a lactation consultant to do some analysis.

I was doing fenugreek and nursing tea at the same time when I was super stressed about my milk.

Actually, getting rid of the stress might've helped my supple more than all the other stuff, come to think of it.

babysophia
03-24-2007, 08:21 PM
Yes, 4 oz is a lot. But my first was exactly the same, and they are both pretty big. On the bright side, however, I think things are improving a bit. Mother's Milk, fenugreek, almonds, and oatmeal....and I pumped 4 oz in a sitting on Friday! I don't pump weekends since I am at home, but I used much less formula today. Yay!!!!!! Does anyone know if I have to keep taking all this stuff indefinitely, or can I stop once my supply stabilizes?

Thanks Thanks Thanks everyone:)

Susan

jniter
03-29-2007, 11:18 PM
I never asked...do you massage your breasts while you're pumping?

The lactation consultant of the breastfeeding support group I went too suggested that. Apparently, since pumps are not as efficient as babies at getting out the milk, you may think you don't have much but it's the pump that's not getting all the milk out. Massaging the breasts helps the milk letdown be more efficient. It can also improve your supply, because you're kinda forcing the milk out and telling the breasts to make more.

The first time I massages my breasts while pumping, I almost doubled what I normally got out!

prettypixel
04-01-2007, 03:27 PM
Susan, please don't feel guilty. You're an amazing mom and your baby is lucky to have someone willing to try so hard to give her breastmilk. I am a low supply mama myself, and it is not as rare as some people would like you to believe. If you need some support or more ideas, check out http://www.mobimotherhood.org... Mothers Overcoming Breastfeeding Issues. There's a support group you can join that is really helpful.

My baby has to be supplemented too, it is really hard but giving any breastmilk is better than none at all! :)

I HTH!

aa2mama
04-05-2007, 07:06 PM
How long did you take the More Milk Special Blend for? I recently started taking it, and I think it's helping. I'm planning to order some more, but I have no idea how long people typically take it for.

dowlinal
04-06-2007, 08:33 PM
I took it until my daughter was a year. I switched to just Goat's Rue at that point and I'm still taking that once a day. I'm not sure if I really needed to take it that long, but I was too afraid to stop and I figured that it was still cheaper than formula. If you e-mail Diana West through the Low Milk site I posted I'm sure she'd be able to tell you how long you need to take it. She is super nice.