PDA

View Full Version : Formula rec's-planning ahead in case I can't BF...

Nooknookmom
03-20-2007, 02:33 PM
I managed to eek out some BF w/ DD 1-I had very low supply, she wasn't getting enough to eat, I also had bleeding nipples and severe pain. It didn't work out and I had to switch to formula. She of course ended up on a special soy formula (read:expensive!) due to lactose intolerance/reflux.

So, JIC I have major BF issues this time I am wondering what you experienced Mamas are using. All the formulas have changed in the past 11 years since I had to purchase and I am confused!

Thanks!

JBaxter
03-20-2007, 05:02 PM
Nathan is 3 but when we switched to formula at 6 months due to supply issues My Ped recommended Parents Choice ( from walmart) It ( like all formulas on the US market) is FDA approved and has all the good stuff the "name brand" formulas do but its almost 1/2 the price. Nathan did very well on it I recommed it all the time to mommas that can bf or need to supplament http://www.parentschoiceformula.com/

Nooknookmom
03-20-2007, 05:44 PM
Thank you. Hopefully I won't need the advice, but after last time I wan't to be prepared. :)

JBaxter
03-20-2007, 08:30 PM
I found fenugreek helped with my supply ... Plenty of water and oatmeal also helps.

Nooknookmom
03-20-2007, 10:48 PM
Yeah, I've been scanning the board and that suggestion keeps popping up. I plan on trying whatever I can to make it work! Thanks again :)

luvsviola
03-20-2007, 11:44 PM
I breastfeed and use Similac Advance occasionally (the blue can). DD is 8 weeks old and will take the formula or BM or sometimes a mixture of both if I only was able to pump 2 oz. That is also the formula our hospital uses and ped recommended, though that was a coincidence. I like that you can buy the powder singles to keep in the diaper bag. Sometimes she ended up at grandmas longer than I expected or demands to be fed more frequently than I planned and grandma runs out of breastmilk. By keeping several singles in the diaper bag, she can always know there is something to feed her and she doesn't have to "ration" bottles.

Good luck!

Lilysmom06
03-21-2007, 06:53 AM
I currently FF (due to unsuccessful attempt at BF) and we use Similac with Iron. We started with the Similac Advance (with DHA/ARA) but DD did not tolerate the additives (lots of gas, etc.). She has done very well with the plain Similac. I was not able to find a store brand without the additives, but if you DC tolerates them, I would give them a try to save some $$. OF course DD also prefers the Ready-to-eat over the powder, so what can you do :). Hopefully it won't even be an issue for you.

Good luck!

Kathy

egoldber
03-21-2007, 08:11 AM
FYI, I had major supply issues with my first and needed to supplement and switched to formula at 6 months. Now nursing for the second time I have had absolutely no issues at all with supply. So issues with your first child may not be indicative of a problem with the second. :) The LCs I have talked to told me that with each pregnancy, your breasts make more milk glands, so supply tends to be less of an issue with subsequent children.

Also, I would compile a list of breastfeeding resources. Attend a local LLL meeting (before having the baby). Find out if the LCs in the hospitals are good ones. Find other breastfeeding support groups (the hospital I delivered in has TWO weekly ones). Surrounding yourself with breastfeeding support is crucial in the early days when you're post partum, hormonal and worried about that little one getting enough to eat.

Nooknookmom
03-21-2007, 11:19 AM
It's so nice to have a place to go for support & questions. Beth, I didn't know that w/ each preg. you make more milk glands-maybe that will save me! Kathy, I saw those cool looking single packets in the store the other day. Wish those had been around w/ my 1st DD.

Thanks everyone. I'll know in just a few weeks how well the parts are going to work, lol! Can't wait!

babysophia
03-21-2007, 12:34 PM
Just want to wish you good luck with breastfeeding :) I'm currently having troubles BF, and it is nice to have so much support here on this board.

Susan

hellbennt
03-22-2007, 07:16 AM
for your nipples (these saved mine- given to me ba a IBCILC & I'm not saying to buy from this site- just to give the example)
http://store.babycenter.com/product/left+nav+pgroups/shop+by+brand/a+-+f/ameda/comfortgel+hydrogel+pads.do

I've read on 'the boards' to take: fenugreek & blessed thistle
take 3 capsules of each, 3x/day &
don't panic if you smell like syrup! & oatmeal should help too!

for milk protein intolerance (most likely what your dd had/has, as lactose intolerance is rather rare in babies- it's the protein they react to :) ) : you might want to cut milk ('hidden' and 'obvious') out of your diet 3weeks before you're due so that when your milk comes in, it's already a 'special formula' LOL
(I'm a Moderator at www.infantreflux.org/forum if you want/need to take a peek :) )
HTH
~laura in miami~
ds1 7/03
ds2 7/06

susanne
03-22-2007, 08:44 AM
Just to give you some encouragement, it happened that way for me, too. I had to start supplementing my 1st DS at 2months, but fortunately my 2nd DS is almost 6 months old and so far hasn't needed a drop of formula. I've even managed to pump a lot of extra BM to have on hand for evening out with no problem. So there is a good chance that you won't have supply issues with your second.

crayonblue
03-23-2007, 01:59 PM
We use Parent's Choice with Carmen and are very pleased.

Good luck with breastfeeding! I hope it is much easier for you this time.