PDA

View Full Version : Should I Switch DD To Lowfat Milk?

randomkid
03-27-2007, 07:37 PM
I know this has been discussed before, but a search did not yield the answer to my question. I know at 2yo, DCs can be switched to 2% or lower. However, my DD is on the very low end of the curve - under 25% for height and under 5% for weight. She doesn't eat a lot of the healthy fatty foods (like avocado) and also isn't a big fan of protein sources. Actually, her diet is quite limited, but rather healthy - broccoli, peas, corn, sweet potato, pasta, chicken salad. I add olive oil to some of her foods to add healthy fat, but she just doesn't like many fatty foods.

Should I try to switch yet or keep her on whole for a while longer? She's been hovering around 23-24 pounds for quite a long time. I'm not concerned about her size, just don't want to switch if it might cause weight loss.

Thank you,

Wife_and_mommy
03-27-2007, 08:08 PM
I doubt she'd lose weight if you switched her but I'd keep her on the whole for a while longer.

My dd was little like yours and I kept that mindset until this past Dec. She started this phenomenal growth spurt that is still ongoing. She's grown about 3.5 inches sinch Sept. and is up to 29# at last count. She was 24 at 2yo so you can see what a change. I now give her low-fat but she usually wants the full fat yogurt that DS is having. My dd doesn't drink cow milk.

Hth.

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_gold_12m.gif[/img][/url] http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_gold_12m.gif[/img][/url]

I love them most when they are sleeping.--Me
http://b3.lilypie.com/QaHxm5.png
http://b2.lilypie.com/UgAXm5.png

elephantmeg
03-27-2007, 08:38 PM
I would keep her on whole milk for now

randomkid
03-27-2007, 08:38 PM
Thank you. You just confirmed what I was feeling. I'll leave her on whole for a while longer. I'm not concerned about her current weight as I read that a 2yo should be 4x their birth weight. DD was 6 pounds at birth, so we are on target.

If anyone has a different opinion, would still be glad to hear it.

megs4413
03-29-2007, 10:20 PM
we switched a few weeks ago and DD lost about a pound..it could have been coincidence but i don't know.

ETA: but my DD went from 31lbs to 30....she's a bit on the large side (also very very tall) so the weight loss wasn't an issue for us

luvsviola
03-29-2007, 10:20 PM
I would also keep her on whole milk. Kids need some fat (read: moderation!) in their diet to help with brain development. So, if she isn't getting a lot of fat from other sources, I would definitely keep it in there.

Radosti
03-30-2007, 07:23 AM
Oh gosh... that would put my DS at the expected weight of 39 lbs by the time he is two. He's 30 lbs now at 15 months. He's also just finally slowed down considerably, so I don't know that he'll get to 39 lbs, nor do I think I want him to since he's not all that tall yet - 32 inches. If he's 39 lbs by 2, he better have a significant height growth as well.

Ok, I just looked at his chart and if he stays on track as he's been following it so far, he'll be around 34 lbs at 2. Whew!!!

KrisM
03-30-2007, 12:15 PM
I hadn't heard that 4x either and my DS would have been about 38lbs too. He was 29lbs at 2 years and is 35lbs now, just short of 3 years.

At the rate DD is not growing, she'll be 4x at age 6 or something. She hasn't even doubled at almost 10 months.

KrisM
03-30-2007, 12:16 PM
I'd probably keep her on whole, too. I think it also depends on how much milk she drinks. If it's a lot, maybe do some of both?

MarisaSF
03-30-2007, 04:08 PM
Just a thought, but DD's appetite for more variety and amount of food increased when we switched from whole milk to lowfat.

Sounds like your DD has a good varied diet, which is great!

miki
03-31-2007, 07:12 PM
This is what appened with my DD as well. When she drank a cup of whole milk in the morning, that was all she needed until lunch. When I switched her to 2%, she would drink the milk and have some breakfast and a snack later in the morning. But once I switched, I don't think her overall fat and protein intake went down because my kid is a big big meat eater.

MaddiesMommy
03-31-2007, 07:23 PM
My dd's ped. recommended keeping her on whole milk a little longer when he was concerned about her weight at her two year appt. I would suggest keeping your dd on whole for a while longer. Have you asked your ped?

Janine

randomkid
04-01-2007, 12:01 PM
No...haven't asked the ped as we haven't been in awhile. I felt that I should keep her on whole a while longer, but just thought I'd get some feedback here.

Thank you to everyone for your replies. DD does fairly well with eating because we limit her milk to about 3 ounces at a time. She'll have some with breakfast, then maybe mid-morning with her snack, but usually none at lunch - she drinks water then. I don't think it really interferes with eating as she only gets a little at a time. Of course, she eats better for me than DH because he tends to give her too much. I only give it to her if she asks for it, he gives it all the time and gives too much. I don't worry too much about that since I'm usually the one taking care of her anyway.

Thanks again!

daniele_ut
04-02-2007, 05:30 PM
>Just a thought, but DD's appetite for more variety and amount
>of food increased when we switched from whole milk to lowfat.
>
>

Marisa, THANK YOU for sharing that!!! DS has started to eat SO much more in the last month and has actually gained 2 pounds. I couldn't figure out what the sudden change was, but I just realized that I switched to 2% milk about a month ago. He was hovering just above 26 lbs, but now is up to 28.5 and his appetite is so much better lately.

table4three
04-04-2007, 12:50 PM
My DS is also small for weight (5%) and normal-tall for height. I'm keeping him on whole milk for now too. He's also right around 24 pounds and has been there for a while. He eats some cheese, but not a whole lot of other fatty foods.

http://b3.lilypie.com/n20Cm5/.png[/img][/url]

http://tickers.baby-gaga.com/p/dev230pp___.png[/img][/url]

o_mom
04-04-2007, 02:17 PM
We are switching to 2% at 2 yo, even though DS2 is only 25 lbs. The calorie difference between 2% and whole isn't much, only 4 calories per oz. For his milk intake that works out to maybe 36-48 calories per day, which is less than 4% of his overall recommended calorie intake.

We will switch him to 1% whenever the next one starts on whole milk (he will be around 3 yo) because I refuse to buy 3 kinds of milk. :-)