PDA

View Full Version : Organic when you eat out? How?

kusumat
03-28-2007, 01:10 PM
My DD is now 10 months. Everything I have fed her is all organic except my breastmilk(I try to eat as much organic food as I can).

DD kept looking and wanted the food we ordered when we ate out. My concern is that we have not much control on what is put in the meal. I don't think there are any good restaurants serving mainly organic ingedrient. What do you recommend? Thanks!

SnuggleBuggles
03-28-2007, 02:12 PM
I buy a lot of organic but I don't go out of my way to do it, iykwim. I am picky though about what goes into my food- I want minimally processed stuff. So, I try to avoid chain restaurants for sure as a place like Applebee's probably just opens up containers of frozen food to cook. I have no doubt that there are all sorts of things in them that I don't want to eat.

In my city there are several restaurants that advertise cooking with local produce and meat. We often go to that "chain" of restaurants. Mainyl we like independent restaurants that appear to use a lot of fresh ingredients.

Beyond that I just loosen up sometimes when I go out. Like I used to starve at a baseball game or an amusement park b/c I figured the food was loaded with junk. But, I got tired of starving myself or packing and carrying my own food. So, we just make exceptions. I figure that if we eat well the vast majority of the time that it is ok to not eat quite as well when we go out. We still do try though.

ETA- I would not hesitate to feed ds the same food we would eat provided it wasn't a choking hazard or allergy risk.

Beth

kijip
03-28-2007, 03:45 PM
My rule of thumb is that if we can eat it, my son can eat it (obviously, past the baby stage). So if I can eat non-organic food from a restaurant, so can he. We live in a city with organic options for eating out (Seattle) but we still mainly eat non-organic when we eat out due to preference (none of our fave places are organic) and price (organic places are spendy). We do eat out a fair amount but most of our meals are cooked at home with organic ingredients. And most of the places we eat out at are local places and not chains. I have decided to just be comfortable with that.

pb&j
03-28-2007, 07:38 PM
First, eat at locally owned and operated restaurants, they're much more likely to serve food made with local and/or organic ingredients. Second, you'll never be able to keep DD's diet 100% organic, without making her and yourself a little nutty. So don't sweat it if not every bite is organic.

-Ry,
mom to Max the one year old
and my girl in heaven

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/37124.gif