PDA

View Full Version : Help! DD doesn't want to nurse!

Mommy Of A Little Angel
04-01-2007, 06:43 PM
DD is 11 months old and she doesn't want to nurse anymore. She does one of two things. One - she will suck and get some milk, but then lose interest and pull off or Two - she will suck for a second, pull off and cry, suck for a second, pull off and cry. I just don't know what to do and I feel like I am drying up. Sometimes I don't even feel like I let-down at all. Tonight she didn't want anything to do with nursing so I just put her in her crib and she fell asleep. What is going on? I don't feel like I am producing as much anymore, but I also don't think she wants anything. Should I just start giving her some formula and weaning? It's too early for milk right? Other than this, she is a great eater. She eats all kinds of foods throughout the day (including milk products, so I am not really afraid of a milk-reaction).

Anyone with any suggestions?

Thanks!!

SnuggleBuggles
04-01-2007, 08:09 PM
Sounds like a nursing strike if it just started. I would keep offering, if you can I would have a "nurse in."

Have you or she been on any meds? I think Keflex for mastitis triggered our strike when ds was 10 months old. He went a solid day without nursing. It was awful and I thought it was the end. But, it really was just temporary and we continued on for another 9 months w/o trouble. I never had supply issues so I don't know if that is factoring in on your end. But, at 11 months I wouldn't be majorlu concerned that you aren't feeling let down. It seems unlikely that if you have had a good supply and have nursed on demand that your supply would be down (unless some med, stress...is factoring in).

Try researching nursing strike in books and kelly mom.

GL! I bet it will be better soon. :) Oh, and I would just offer the solids and water to prevent dehydration. I wouldn't go to formula right now- wait to see what happens. You can also try pumping and offering a sippy cup. Remember not to fixate on volume pumped as it is not a valid indication of supply.

Beth

Mommy Of A Little Angel
04-02-2007, 09:12 AM
Thanks so much for the advice! I will look into the nursing strike. Neither of us are on any meds so that's not the issue. She seems hydrated and she drinks water out of a sippy well. I will just keep offering and hopefully this is only temporary!