PDA

View Full Version : Probiotics for BFg infants

bubbaray
04-05-2007, 02:30 PM
How do you give probiotics to a BF infant who exclusively nurses?

I sprinkled the powder on my breast a couple of times, but gave up as I wasn't sure that was 'right'. The naturopathic pharmacist said to make a paste and put it on me and she would get it. Uh, yeah, no time for that -- when she's hungry she wants to eat NOW and IIRC, the probiotics start to degrade once combined with liquid, so I can't premake it. DD#2 won't take a bottle from me (only from DH) and I don't really want to pump as I have been dealing with oversupply issues.

Any ideas?

TIA

Melissa

DD#1: 04/2004

DD#2: 01/2007

o_mom
04-05-2007, 02:41 PM
I usually put the powder in a small bowl and then wet my finger, dipped it in the powder and let them suck it off.

bubbaray
04-05-2007, 02:43 PM
Duh, that's so easy -- why couldn't I think of that!

So, it tastes OK? I haven't tried it.

Melissa

DD#1: 04/2004

DD#2: 01/2007

jenjenfirenjen
04-05-2007, 04:24 PM
ditto. works like a charm.

o_mom
04-05-2007, 05:57 PM
Guess so. Never tasted it myself and they ate it. :-)

nfowife
04-05-2007, 08:04 PM
I mix it with one motrin dropperful of bottled water and squirt it into his mouth. I do a whole capsulefull at once; I am not sure if they are all the same size but the ones DS is on (florajen bifidoblend) seem like they would take a long time to feed via the finger dipping way. Anyhow, it works for us.

lablover
04-06-2007, 07:51 AM
What brand are you all using? I had originally bought Solaray Babylife which is just the bifidus strand. I bought it because it is dairy free and back then she had an issue with dairy. I never ended up using it really because I ordered it online and then read that if they aren't refridgerated they lose effectiveness. So now I'm going to buy a new bottle and don't know if I should stay with the bifidus strand or if any infant types are okay. We haven't started solids yet.

hellbennt
04-06-2007, 08:06 AM
I'm a Moderator at www.infantreflux.org/forum & the brands that mamas there have posted they use are (in no particular order):

Nature's Way Primadophilus for Children
Udo's Choice
kyo-adophoulous
Florastor Kids
Natrol

HTH :-)

~laura in miami~
ds1 7/03
ds2 7/06