PDA

View Full Version : Is she allergic??

ajmom
04-12-2007, 09:47 PM
DD is about 5 1/2 months and since birth she has had bouts of eczema and extermely dry skin which I've learned could be a sign of allergies. About a week ago we started her on rice cereal and applesauce. Her skin had gotten much better, but now she'd getting way more dry patches and the eczema is cropping back up. Surely it's not a reaction to apples is it?!?! Or the cereal? Both are organic and I mix the cereal straight in with the applesouce- I don't use anything to dilute it first. Maybe it's just conicidence?

LarsMal
04-13-2007, 12:25 PM
Have you tried them separately? Try the oatmeal, alone, for three or four days straight. If the eczema seems better add the applesause back in and see what happens. If you're doing both at the same time, you might have trouble figuring out which one is the culprit.

Also, DS had bad eczema on his cheeks and a couple spots on his body for most of his first year. His problem turned out to be a milk protein allergy. If you are BF you might want to try limiting your dairy to see if that helps, or talk to your ped if the baby is on formula.

Good luck!

ajmom
04-13-2007, 05:32 PM
Thanks! I have been reading more about milk protein allergies and think that might be the problem- she is also congested (runny nose, rattly throat) alot of the time. DD is BF almost exclusively- we do FF in emergencies (if EBM stach runs out). SHe hasn't had any formula in the last week, but I think I will try to limit my own dairy intake and see what happens. Thanks again!

hellbennt
04-14-2007, 07:03 AM
it could be the rice itself, or the rice cereal- check to see if it has soy (or milk) in the ingredients
also in the past 4 years I have come across two babies allergic to apples, who knew?
the only way to find out is like the pp said to eliminate one thing at a time...
HTH

~laura in miami~
ds1 7/03
ds2 7/06