PDA

View Full Version : Should I get a new breast pump? Mine's like 11 years old

SashaBear
04-13-2007, 11:13 AM
I bought it used. Its a PIS. I'm a SAHM so I didn't use it very often with DS1. I'm worried that it might be worn out. Especially since I don't know its history.

Also I wondered if the Advanced would work better. Anyway I have some extra cash so I was just wondering!

o_mom
04-13-2007, 11:26 AM
Many people don't like the Adavanced since you can't adjust it as much. I would say replace the membranes (little white flaps) and see if it still works. There really isn't much to a breast pump, so it should still work. If you find you really need a new one, you can order then - many sites will ship quickly and you can have it within a few days.

jillc
04-13-2007, 12:26 PM
Hi! I asked my LC the same question a few months ago - I have a hand-me-down PIS that my SIL used w/her 3 kiddos & I used with my DD (and now my DS, too). My LC said that as long as the pump still worked, don't worry about replacing it. And it has been working fine. :)

I did purchase new "horns", which came with new yellow things & new white membranes... sorry, I can't remember the actual name for these parts.

cmkriat
04-15-2007, 02:19 AM
According to the Medela website, you should not use a pre-owned personal-use breastpump, including the PIS. It has an internal diaphragm and motor that cannot be cleaned or sterilized, therefore you risk an infection if there are certain bacteria or viruses in the pump.

I would buy the new pump.

cmkriat

rl42382
04-20-2007, 01:39 AM
rachel l.
the amada purly yours/ lansinohl pump can be used by more than one person so you can buy new tubing and diaphrams and bottles and be fine i have a madela pump in style advance and love it but i might have gotten an ameda purly yours had i known about it it looks like a great machine and it is also a hundred dollers cheaper i paid 220 for my madela from a local lactation consultant in my area.any way i think it is a great option for many woman. if the machine you have is yours i wouldn't worry so much about it the main concern is if you got it from someone else. i am using the same pump for my second daughter as well and it is almost 3 years old.

VClute
04-20-2007, 06:51 AM
The milk doesn't touch any of those parts, so I wouldn't worry about it. In fact, I don't.

Amy in NC
mom to Dixon, born 2/14/05
...and Abigail Rose, born 4/7/07