PDA

View Full Version : Moms of two or more - was nursing easier with DC#2?

VClute
04-16-2007, 10:44 AM
Ok, so birthing the second time around was a LOT easier, and I expected nursing to be easier, too. Boy, was I wrong! DD latches on correctly, but it looks like someone has taken a cigar cutter to the tips of both of my girls. Latching on is TORTUROUS.

They say that if you do it right, nursing doesn't hurt. I think "they" are full of CARP! I can't remember how long this kind of pain lasted with DS. Someone please tell me it gets better - SOON!

Amy in NC
mom to Dixon, born 2/14/05
...and Abigail Rose, born 4/7/07

Sillygirl
04-16-2007, 10:58 AM
It gets better. I made sure Alex latched correctly (didn't know better at first with Jonathan) but I still had about two weeks of really bad pain *at latch on.* You shouldn't be having terrible pain throughout the nursing session, but that initial latch can make your toes curl. I wish people would be more upfront about this, I think it discourages BFing. Good luck!

o_mom
04-16-2007, 01:27 PM
Yes, THEY are full of it. :-)

Nursing was easier and just as hard the second time for us. Both boys had horrible latch issues. With DS2, however, I had the benefit of experience to know that it wasn't right, to really push it and get the help we needed rather than just suffering through it. Additionally I had the perspective to know that the pain doesn't last forever and I could look forward to many months of a wonderful nursing relationship if I just stuck it out. Keep my eye on the long term helped get me through some serious problems.

For most people it seems the worst pain is over at a few weeks and things are well established by 6 weeks. I see many LCs and LLL leaders tell people to just give it 6 weeks and they will see a big improvement.

To be on the safe side, I would try and see a LC or LLL leader just to make sure things are OK and it's just the normal newborn soreness and not a latch problem.

SnuggleBuggles
04-16-2007, 01:30 PM
Haven't BTDT yet but my friends assure me that it is normal. One friend had 3 in 3 years and nursed each for over a year (so little break btw breastfeeding and not breastfeeding, if any) said that it still hurt for about a week after #3. Just so much time spent on the breast takes getting used to. Hope it gets better soon!!!

Beth

lizzytra
04-16-2007, 03:17 PM
I had the most horrible time nursing my firstborn. So bad, in fact, that I gave up as I had bleeding, blisters, cracks, etc. I would hysterically cry everytime I had to nurse him as the pain was unbearable. Everyone tried to reassure me that bf-ing pain was normal in the beginning... but it was beyond painful for me.

I now know that I had an incorrect latch.

My second born is now almost 8 mo old and I had COMPLETEly different experience. A lactation consultant confirmed for me in the beg. that I had a correct latch. Still, I did have latch on pain (winced and made really weird faces for a ten to fifteen or so seconds each time... sometimes I would wince and count down) and I would have to make a "breast sandwich" the whole time I nursed for the first couple of months so that my DD could get enough of my breast in her mouth the whole nursing session. I had maybe a blister or two and a very tiny bit of blood (and the end of my nipples were red). It was not pleasant to nurse in the beg by any means. It slowly got less and less uncomfortable. My lactation consultant told me to take tylenol and advil (or was it motrin?) interchangeably for the first few days. I also used Lansinoh (sp?) and both of those therapies helped immensely. She also told me that b/c I have very very fair skin, my skin might be more sensitive.

At some point over the weeks and months I came to LOVE nursing. I mean LOOOVE it. I have found it a lot easier than formula. I didn't believe people but I hope you will believe me: It REALLY DOES GET BETTER!! : - ) Hang in there girl!

lisams
04-16-2007, 03:33 PM
Second time around was HARD the first two weeks. It hurt, DS was sleepy and he didn't have a great latch.

It gets better, I promise!!! Hang in there!

kimbe
04-16-2007, 10:07 PM
OMG, that is exactly how I describe the first few weeks of the initial latch on --- toe curling. I too wish that people could be more up front with this too --- it sure did freak me out and made me feel like I was doing something wrong. It does get better and I can remember that after a week or two, it just stopped.

I hope that you are feeling better soon! Hang in there!

maestramommy
04-16-2007, 10:21 PM
I had a lot of soreness that took months to go away. I went to 2 LC's, read Dr. Sears's site, and looked at every picture on Kellymom.com. I finally saw that DD's latch was fine, but her mouth was so small that her lower lip was hidden by my boob (which is not big, btw). It didn't hurt after the first 10-15 seconds, but the initial latch, I had to brace myself and breathe through the stinging burn. As someone once said on another thread, "that is a myth that just needs to go away."