PDA

View Full Version : Please help...is this reflux?

Zana
04-18-2007, 09:54 AM
DD is 4 months old and she has been exclusively FF for the past 3 weeks or so...but the symptoms were the same even when BF and supplementing.

After she drinks her milk (about 4ounces every 3 hrs) she gives a few big burps during which some milk comes out. Within about 20-30mins she can bring out 1-2 ounces of milk..mostly dripping through the side of her mouth but sometimes in a projectile way. This continues for a while, then she's ok for about an hour and is hungry again. I have to say that through all this she is perfectly happy - smiling, playing, not in any sort of pain or discomfort. Also it is more pronounced in the day and when she is more upright...she does OK during the night (drinks, burps and sleeps)

My ped isnt concerned yet, she was 50% for weight at birth and 2mths and dropped to 25% at 4mths but shes grown taller. Im not too worried about her weight but I hate to see her milk going in and coming out at the same speed!

Can you have reflux without any real discomfort? or is this just normal baby spit up? Should I try new formula, mylicon or just wait it out some more?

o_mom
04-18-2007, 10:08 AM
Sounds like she is just a spitter. She could be getting too much in at a time and the excess is just coming out. Sitting up after eating in a baby can compress the stomach since they don't sit up straight. That could be why you see more during the day.

Reflux meds will only treat pain, they don't stop the spitting up.

I would just wait it out and maybe try to slow her intake. Use a newborn size nipple on the bottle, stop often to burp, offer less at a time and then a pacifier to see if she just wants to suck. I think the intake guidelines are 2-3 oz per pound per day, so if her overall intake is much more than that it is likely she it just trying to put too much in a small space.