PDA

View Full Version : Using a friend's Medela PIS

moncheechee
04-20-2007, 06:15 PM
I was given a Medela PIS from a friend who used it with her baby. I was wanting to know if I should go ahead and use it or buy a new one. My mom also bought all new attachments for it. Is it ok to use or not. I will be a new stay at home mom in Sept and am trying to save money. Is it worth it or should I splurge on this? I just want some feedback because I see that other people have posted that they are using used pumps. At least I know where mine has been (in a clean environment)because she is a friend. Please help!

Jo..
04-20-2007, 07:28 PM
It's fine, as long as you have new tubing, flanges, etc. The motor doesn't come into contact with the milk. Buy some cute toys with that extra $200! ;)

Radosti
04-20-2007, 07:28 PM
If you have all new attachments, I'd use it. If you want, pop off the face plate and clean all around the diaphragm.

susanne
04-21-2007, 07:48 PM
I agree with the 1st 2 responders. The reason that Medela tells you not to share a pump is because of the contact with the milk. Residue of the milk from one Mommy can contaminate the milk pumped from another. However, the motor, which is what makes the PISA so expensive can be shared since it doesn't touch the milk. In fact, I borrowed a PISA from a friend myself. I had all of the other parts from the Medela Double Electric from my first child, so I purchased the tubing for the PISA and it works great.

stillplayswithbarbies
04-23-2007, 10:51 AM
The Medela PIS is not a closed system and milk can get into the motor etc. if it backs up the tubes. That is why it is a one-person pump.

The Ameda Purely Yours is a closed system, milk can not go back up the tubes, and therefore can be used by more than one person by buying new horns, valves, etc.

Both pumps are only made to last through one baby though. For occasional pumping it should be okay, but for pumping every day I wouldn't trust it.

susanne
04-24-2007, 08:38 PM
Out of curiosity, what source told you that these pumps were meant to last for only one child? I can understand one mother, but are you saying that a Mom should buy a new pump for each child that she has?

elektra
05-03-2007, 03:06 PM
I am borrowing a Medela PIS and it has been a lifesaver. It saved me over $300 and seems much better than the rental I was using. I would be a little sketched out if it was from a stranger, but the one I am using was lent to me by my sister in law so I had no worries about using it. I also bought my own tubes, horns, etc. (I had already purchased all that to go with the rental I was using.)
And even if it is possible to get a few drops of milk into the diaphram from the tubes, I was ok with it since it seems like the amount would be pretty small, and again, the pump is from a trusted source.