PDA

View Full Version : tofu/Soy/Boca Burgers

Kindra178
04-23-2007, 10:02 AM
My almost ten month loves tofu and boca burgers. My pediatrician recommended tofu as a good source of protein. Is there a problem giving a baby too much soy?

Sillygirl
04-23-2007, 11:04 AM
Well, some kids subsist on soy formula. I really doubt your child could eat as much soy as those kids do, if he's getting it in the form of meatless burgers. If he is, you probably should be more worried about his sodium intake.

jhrabosk
04-24-2007, 12:05 PM
I don't know how much is considered "too much," but there are concerns about soy messing with hormones.

I'm not well researched on the subject and the only article I've seen recently was incredibly alarmist, so I don't want to give you that, but if you Google I'm sure you'll find info.

My personal feeling is everything in moderation. I agree that it's a great source of protein, so I still feed tofu to my daughter (and eat it myself). It's an arbitrary amount, but I try to limit it to one serving per day, max. Keep in mind other foods that have soy protein added, too!

marina
05-02-2007, 11:20 AM
everything in moderation. imo, the less processed the soy is that you eat, the better it is for you - so tofu/tempeh over Boca/Morningstar.