PDA

View Full Version : When to start pumping?

Piglet
05-13-2007, 05:04 PM
DD is 5 days old and BFing is going well. I would like to start pumping 1 bottle a day (either to give or to freeze). I am still in that supply-regulating period (a bit engorged) and I have a tendency to over-produce, so I don't want pumping to screw up my supply. I can't remember when I started pumping with the other 2 kids - so can you please help me out?

Thanks,

Clarity
05-13-2007, 07:11 PM
Hi Marina, and congratulations on your little girl! I'm sure you'll get differing answers, but my LC told me not to pump during the first two weeks. I started after that.

Bean606
05-13-2007, 08:27 PM
My LC told me to wait at least three weeks, unless I was having supply issues (which I did), in which case I had to start pumping sooner. Good luck, and congratulations on the new arrival!

pb&j
05-13-2007, 08:40 PM
I started pumping when DS was 4 or 5 days old. For me, since I had to go back to work at 8 wks, having a bit of an oversupply at first was very helpful in building up a stash.

-Ry,
mom to Max the one year old
and my girl in heaven

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/37124.gif

Moneypenny
05-14-2007, 10:57 AM
For the first few weeks, I only pumped a tiny bit to relieve engorgement when DD started sleeping longer stretches. I started pumping for the purposes of building a stash at about a month.

Susan
mama to my cutie pie, Avery
http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_sapphire_24m.gif[/img][/url]

luvsviola
05-15-2007, 10:21 PM
I started about day 3. I just got a TINY amount in the beginning, but it helped bring my milk in for DD who was jaundiced. I was able to give her EBM to help with the jaundice. It also helped when my boobs were hurting in the beginning to pump and bottle feed to give them a break. I don't know if the LCs would approve, but it worked for me.

VClute
05-17-2007, 12:12 AM
I started right around 3 weeks. We were feeding only once in the night by then, and I pump after feeding her (around 1 or 2 am). Then I check my email/the boards while I'm waiting for the milk to cool. (I have the lipase thing and scald every batch before freezing.)

Amy in NC
mom to Dixon, born 2/14/05
...and Abigail Rose, born 4/7/07