PDA

View Full Version : Ameda Pump ?

momtobe2007
05-15-2007, 01:46 PM
So, I got my APY in the mail yesterday and I went to try it today. I was a little disappointed. I felt like it didn't cycle (suck) as fast as my DD does. I pumped for a little bit and only got an ounce! My manual works better. Maybe it's just me or maybe at this time of day my supply is lower?? Maybe I should try it first thing in the morning.
Should I still be getting a good amount of ebm even though it goes slower than my dd? Should I just give it more time?

Momof3Labs
05-15-2007, 03:10 PM
What settings did you use to pump (that is, are you using the pump to its best advantage)? Is this a normal pumping time for you?

wencit
05-15-2007, 04:31 PM
Yes, the PY sucks slower than a baby. No pump is ever going to be as efficient as your baby. Definitely try it first thing in the morning; your supply is usually the highest then.

How long did you pump for? The instructions tell you to pump for at least 20 minutes (although once you become better at it, you can get away with pumping for 15 minutes at a time). When I first got my PY, I think I was pumping for 30 minutes each session, though in retrospect, that was probably overkill.

I followed Lori's advice about highest speed/lowest suction until you get a letdown, then lowest speed/highest suction until the letdown stops. I found that I maximized the amount of milk that I collected by following her tip (thanks, Lori!). You might want to try that, too.

Don't forget to relax while pumping (some people read or watch TV), and to drink plenty of water.

Keep trying! You will get better at it, and your body will soon adjust to pumping more at each session.

momtobe2007
05-15-2007, 05:01 PM
Thanks for the advice! I've never used an electric! I did not pump for a whole 20 minutes. Maybe 10 and I didn't get much and thought I was doing something wrong.
I also don't really have pump times yet. I usually only (manually) pump one bottle in the morning and that's about it. So, I will need to start regulating some times during the day to pump.
I followed lori's advice for a few minutes and was able to get another 1/2 oz. So, I was pleased with that! Thank you. However, I don't know how you guys keep it on the highest suction...LOL! It was killing me! Well, my nipples are still pretty torn and cracked from initially nursing. Hopefully, they'll clear up soon. Was hoping to pump a bit more and let them heal.

Momof3Labs
05-15-2007, 07:25 PM
Don't use the highest suction then. Use the highest suction that you can comfortably tolerate. Pumping is an art and a science, so hang in there!

luvsviola
05-15-2007, 10:19 PM
I started with the suction about half way. Then, over time, it got to where I can use it all the way up. In the beginning, I often got just an ounce or two. Now, at almost 4 months, I get more. I had been using a hospital pump before this and was also really disappointed. It really is a learned thing! I usually pump for about 10-12 minutes, though first thing in the morning, I get milk for longer.

Also remember that if you are feeding the baby, and pumping in between feedings that you will get less than if you are away from the baby for a couple hours. I was soooo freaked that when I went back to work I would never get enough. But now I get 4-6 oz. per pump at work and only 2-3 when I'm at home in between feedings.

Good luck and keep going!