PDA

View Full Version : APY Help!

momtobe2007
05-29-2007, 09:29 AM
So, i got the bigger flanges for my pump and it's still not working well. When ever I turn up the suction (hoping to get more quicker) it pulls in my whole nipple along with alot of skin and still turns it blue. The only way to not do this is to turn down the suction...but will I still get milk out if the suction is low? I feel like I sit there forever and nothing comes out on the lower suction setting. Am I just not waiting long enough? Any suggestions or help would be appreciated!

Momof3Labs
05-29-2007, 11:48 AM
You shouldn't get blue nipples from pumping.

When you start pumping, use the fastest speed and lowest suction. Once you start to get a letdown, switch to the slowest speed and the highest suction that you can tolerate (even if it isn't very high). Switch back when the letdown is over, and so on. See if that helps things.

If you keep on getting blue nipples, you may want to talk to a LLL leader or a lactation consultant who can troubleshoot with you. Also, have you researched this on www.kellymom.com?

Moneypenny
05-30-2007, 08:24 AM
Hmmm, if too much breast is being pulled into the flange, I think you might need a smaller flange. I got these soft silicone flange inserts for mine which helped keep too much from getting sucked in.

Also, I had the best results by starting with low suction, high speed. Once I felt letdown, I would switch to higher suction, low speed. That is what mimicked my DD's natural sucking.

Good luck! For me, the hardest part of nursing was figuring out that darn pumping thing!

Susan
mama to my cutie pie, Avery
http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_sapphire_24m.gif[/img][/url]

momtobe2007
05-30-2007, 02:04 PM
Moneypenny, you were right! I talked with the Ameda Lac Conultant today and she said the same thing. So, I need to get the Flexishield Soft silicone thing now. Sheesh!! Hopefully, once I get these, everything will be better and the pumping will be great!

Oh...is the flexishield things the same as the areola stimulator?