PDA

View Full Version : Some reflections on a year of nursing...

tylersmama
05-30-2007, 06:53 PM
DS turns one today! It makes me all teary just thinking about it. :)

When I was pregnant, I knew that I wanted to breastfeed. I thought that I would try to get to 6 months, and then see from there. I had no IRL experience with breastfeeding at all, but I'm the type of person to read as much as I can about something, so I read a couple of books, found this forum, and tried to educate myself as much as I could. I thought it might be great if I could make it to a year, but had no real expectations about it.

One year later, DS is a happy, healthy little boy who has never had formula. I am so proud of him, and of myself for accomplishing this. There were a lot of hard times, especially at the beginning when we struggled with getting him latched on to my ginormous boobs. We've had to deal with weight issues, but through the wealth of information that I've gotten here, we were able to avoid supplementing, and DS is back on the growth chart at 12 months (barely, but he's on it!). I was able to get the confidence to nurse DS wherever we were, whenever he needed it. We've nursed in restaurants, on airplanes, at the mall, and at the trailhead of many, many hikes.

I always thought that if I made it to a year, my work would be done, but I find myself in no hurry to wean. It's amazing what a difference a year can make in your expectations and attitudes. I never would have guessed that I would become a closet lactivist!

I guess I just wanted to send a big thank you out to all of you who post such great advice here. I have learned so much from you, and I hope that I'm able to share the same BTDT advice with the new moms here that all of you have done with me, and maybe help another mama out!

Clarity
05-30-2007, 08:19 PM
Congrats to you and happy birthday to your ds! What a wonderful milestone.

elliput
05-30-2007, 08:39 PM
Congratulations, Gaye! And Happy 1st Birthday to Tyler! I definitely think someday a new Mama is going to appreciate your advice. :-)

daisymommy
05-30-2007, 08:39 PM
Congratulations on 1 wonderful year of nursing! I'm sure your DS thanks you too :)

I like you, hoped to make it to 6 months, and thought 1 year would be "beyond my wildest dreams"--but it gets easier and easier, and now I cannot imagine weaning anytime soon. This board has been truly instrumental in reaching my goals as well. Thank-you all!

lisams
05-30-2007, 08:50 PM
Congrats on making it to such an amazing milestone!!

Your post sounds so much like me, especially "I never would have guessed that I would become a closet lactivist!" In the past two years I have proudly come out of my lactivist closet ;-)

Happy birthday to your DS!

elephantmeg
05-30-2007, 09:32 PM
congrats and happy birthday Tyler!

elephantmeg
05-30-2007, 09:33 PM
congrats and happy birthday Tyler!

Wife_and_mommy
05-30-2007, 10:57 PM
Happy birthday to your little guy and congratulations on one year of nursing. :)

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_gold_12m.gif[/img][/url] http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_gold_12m.gif[/img][/url]

I love them most when they are sleeping.--Me
http://b4.lilypie.com/HSUwm4.png
http://b2.lilypie.com/UgAXm5.png

wencit
05-30-2007, 11:31 PM
Congrats, Gaye! One year of nursing is a wonderful accomplishment.

Hope Tyler had a happy birthday!

Bean606
05-31-2007, 08:05 AM
Congratulations and Happy Birthday!

jacksmomtobe
06-01-2007, 09:47 PM
Congratulations on your great achievement! It sounds like I am a lot like you..ie I like to read as much info as I can then I make the decision on what route I will go with something. It's amazing with some information and support from all the wonderful Mamas on this board what you can accomplish. Happy Bday to your little guy!

SnuggleBuggles
06-02-2007, 08:37 AM
Gaye,

Congratulations and happy birthday to your ds!

Your experience sounds so much like mine! I aimed for 6 months, had plenty of early challenges (bad latch, thrush, mastitis) but stuck it out. Once I hit a year (my revised goal at some point) I found there was no reason to wean. Nothing magically changed on his birthday. I was so proud to have been able to bf and ds not having any formula. It was just a personal goal; one I don't expect other people to feel the same about.

I really didn't know that I would become so passionate about bf'ing and even somewhat invested in the bf'ing success of others. There's just something about wanting to help other people get past the hardest stretch (for me, that first 7 weeks) so that they can understand why anyone would stick with it. Without my SIL's reassurance that it would get better it would have been hard to keep at it (though I was so stubborn by a certain point that I probably would have!). The book "The Nursing Mother's Companion" I had called month months 2-6 the "golden months" of breastfeeding and when ds was 3 weeks old I never understood that. I'm glad I got to see the good side of breastfeeding! Usually more of the bf'ing career is good!

Congrats again! Have a great day with ds!

Beth

JTsMom
06-02-2007, 09:50 AM
Congratulations! :)