PDA

View Full Version : What really works for decreased milk supply??

Tammy
06-05-2007, 01:33 PM
My baby is 7 mo old and is exclusively bf. I work ft and pump 3x/day (same time she would eat if I were at home). My freezer stockpile is down to one bag of ebm. Since we started the solids, she bf as frequently as before, but when I pump I'm not producing as much. There are days I don't pump enough ebm to make 3 bottles for the next day. Today I had her grandma give her half formula (ready to feed) and half ebm mixed in her cereal- this frees me up about a bottle a day. I really don't want to give her formula at all, but am trying to start with a small amount to only supplement. I've read suggestions about increasing my supply- I've already added another pumping session, and am trying relaxing methods before pumping. I read something eating oatmeal to help with this. Anyone done this and did it help? Any other suggestions you've found that work? I would so much appreciate any advice- I'm having a hard time with this and would love to continue exclusively bf until she's at least a year old. Thanks!

Sillygirl
06-05-2007, 03:00 PM
I ate about 12 oz of oatmeal every day for a week and really noticed a difference. It was easy to do because they always have it at the cafeteria where I work. The other thing I notice helps is to make sure you drink tons of water. It's easy to get sidetracked at work so have that water bottle with you at all times.

ETA: also, make sure you've changed the membranes recently, if that applies to your style of pump. And nurse like crazy on weekends.

Katia
06-05-2007, 03:40 PM
My DD is about the same age as yours! I'm also pumping while at work and have noticed a dip in supply, too. Here's what works for me:

Added a pumping session, first thing in the morning when I get up and before I nurse DD. Supply tends to be the strongest in the morning, so I get the most benefit from my efforts then. I'm still able to feed DD enough after that -- she seems satisfied and takes her first bottle at daycare at the regular time, so I assume it's OK.

Oatmeal! I've had it as breakfast cereal and cookies.

Drinking lots of water.

Supplementing is so tricky (either with formula or frozen breastmilk) because your body won't "know" it needs to produce more milk. If you do need to supplement (I know sometimes it's necessary) try to make up the supplemented amounts through increased pumping. I know...ugh...I hate to even suggest it, but it really helps.

I also notice that my supply decreases around the time of my period, and then it bounces back a few days later. I am always relieved!

On that note, I'm off to go pump. Hope this helps!

Katia
DS 2003 and DD 2006

wencit
06-05-2007, 04:19 PM
Have you tried taking fenugreek? When I did that, along with eating some oatmeal, my supply came back relatively quickly.

vwh99
06-05-2007, 09:46 PM
When my dd was around that age and the supply dropped, I also added a pumping session, waking up a little earlier than usual to pump. I found that I was able to pump WAY more than I usually did later in the day (once I pumped 12 oz compared to the usual 5-8 later in the day). I found that if dd woke up around 2 hrs. later, then I was okay to feed her. And if I was running behind in the morning, then I had enough milk for her for the day (that morning's pumping plus the day before's). This schedule helped me keep up BF for another month or two while working FT.

As for all that other stuff, I didn't find it very helpful. Though, I wasn't 'religious' about making sure I ate my oatmeal, taking my fenugreek, drinking water.......who has time??? I work over 40hrs/week!

Val

elephantmeg
06-06-2007, 05:50 AM
I would mix her cereal with pureed fruit instead of milk for one. I agree with all the pp suggestions: more water, oatmeal, fenugreek, water, water, water. If you add a pumping session do it first thing in the am and/or in the middle of the night/early morning. Prolactin is highest then. HTH and good luck!

Tammy
06-06-2007, 01:31 PM
Thanks everyone for the suggestions. My husband is very supportive but it's nice to talk w/ others who have experience. I'm drinking more water (drank a lot before too), taking more time to relax before/during pumping sessions, and I'm going to add a pumping session in the morning. As much as I dread getting up even earlier it's worth it if it works. I even ate some oatmeal this morning, figured it can't hurt. Although now I remember why I wasn't crazy about it when I was younger. (I'll eat more of the cookies!)
I'm still reading up on other suggestions and will try whatever works. Oh- and I replaced the valves, membranes, and breastshields on my pump. Hope it all helps.

DrSally
06-06-2007, 02:17 PM
I would try everything that's suggested. I found, though, that at a certain point (more like a year), I just got less from pumping. My LC said this is often the case, that your body stops responding to the pump at a certain point. I also didn't pump much at that point anyway, so that may have really contributed. I would in no way give up, and I would try all the suggestions, though. I hope it works for you.

gisele
06-06-2007, 03:13 PM
Two more things I want to mention that the others haven't..

1. Make sure you're getting enough rest. When I've talked to LC about increasing supply, the first thing many suggest is taking a nap or getting more rest. It really does affect supply if you are overtired.

2. Make sure the breasts are completely drained. I also pump 3x a work, but when I am home on the weekends, I always pump after the first morning feed. The body will increase making milk as long as the breasts are fully drained. After my baby feeds in the morning I pump and can get another 1-3 ounces out. At work when I pump, I try to get two letdowns each time.

I do eat a small bowl of oatmeal in the morning and it helps.

Hang in there. I pumped at work for 2 years with my first child and it was a real challenge to get enough - every day was a battle. He never was given formula. I am doing it again for the second time - my baby is 5.5 months old now.

Tammy
06-06-2007, 04:28 PM
>
>

Thanks for the help. I can definitely use more rest, instead of trying to do too much before bedtime. This is more important.

Question- 2 letdowns?? How do you do that?

donovanmom
06-06-2007, 04:45 PM
This may be extreme but know many work ft moms who have used the prescription drug Reglan to increase supply. Usually you take it for 1-2 weeks and there is a dosage taper. I don't know the dose or how the taper works. You would need a prescription from your OB. I know of 4 or 5 moms who have used it with success. Kellymom has some info and list the side effects. I know it isn't as natural as Fenugreek or Fennel Tea but is approved for increasing milk supply. Good luck.