PDA

View Full Version : Looking for some new meal options!

Mommy Of A Little Angel
06-20-2007, 11:28 AM
DD is 13 months and eats everything. I think I am starting to bore her with the food selections I am giving her. It's really hard because DH's not home for dinner so I don't really cook a meal. She loves mac and cheese (well noodles with shredded cheese on it), ravioli, pasta, chicken, etc. I want to come up with some new meals so she isn't always eating pasta for lunch and chicken for dinner. Any suggestions?

Bean606
06-20-2007, 12:54 PM
We are in a similar rut, although I have added cut up hamburgers, turkey burgers, and veggie burgers to the repertoire, as well as some mild fish (flounder, cod, etc.). Good luck!

jhrabosk
06-20-2007, 01:30 PM
Oh, this is totally my life! We both work full-time, so we usually don't have time to make our dinner until after DD goes to bed. During the week, dinner for her is a regular diet of whole wheat pasta with shredded cheese and a rotating cast of frozen veggies. BORING!

I try to include her in whatever we're eating on the weekend, and if we have leftovers during the week, I save some for her, but I look forward to others' responses.

pb&j
06-20-2007, 02:16 PM
I hear ya! DH and I both WOTH, DH is often not home for dinner. Some of my rotating lunch/dinner faves for DS are:
-Turkey meatballs (make a big batch once a month and freeze, can thaw individually)
-Scrambled eggs and omelets. Super fast to make, too.
-Hummus on whole wheat
-Pancakes - can make a big batch and freeze to thaw individually
-Grilled cheese - we both love this one!

-Ry,
mom to Max the one year old
and my girl in heaven

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/37124.gif

juliasmom05
06-20-2007, 02:49 PM
Wow. Sounds like my house.

-chili (ground turkey, beans, veggies, spaghetti sauce, etc.). Usually make a big batch and freeze
-Turkey meatballs-also make a big batch and freeze
-chicken fingers-make and batch and freeze
-quesadillas
-omlettes with cheese and veggies
-hummus or guacamole and veggies
-tortilla roll ups with cream cheese or luncheon meat
-beef or chicken stew (can make and freeze)
-turkey meatloaf (you can probably make mini loafs and freeze)
-rice and black beans ( I just rinse a can of beans)
-split pea soup with rice/potatoes/carrots (freezes well)
-lentil soup (usually make for us and DD eats the leftovers)

Clarity
06-20-2007, 02:53 PM
We generally give our dd what we're having or some type of varient of what we're having. For example, last night dh made a gumbo. I skimmed some sauce and veggies, added some pinto beans and she had that with a side of pears. We frequently give her beans as her dinner protein.
Some other items we've given our dd:
vegetable lasagne
homemade chicken noodle soup
Trader Joe's tomato and roasted red pepper soup
tofu coated in wheatgerm or tofu lighty dusted with curry.
mini meatballs and sauce
scrambled egg
Boca or vegetable burgers
wedding soup
hummus spread - either on toast or a dollop of it on the side
any type of prepared chicken
mashed sweet potato
we made a broccoli/cauliflower combo one night with a bit of garlic and dd loved this.

Sometimes dd just gets mixed vegetables and a side of beans with some frozen sliced blueberries or a similar variation of veggies, protein and fruit. She loves veggies though, and they make up a good portion of her diet - one night her main dish was diced squash with diced up cheese for a side.
For lunches I give her the same or I might just do yogurt in lieu of a pasta or meat. I always add a fruit or veggie with lunch too, depending on what balances her diet best for the day.

Mommy Of A Little Angel
06-22-2007, 10:36 AM
Thank you all so much! Today is our grocery store day so we will be able to try some new meals. It's really nice to know I am not the only one stuck in a rut! Thanks for all your ideas!

MATTYSMOMMY
06-26-2007, 08:32 AM
I give him whatever we are having, then add in something he likes.

Grilled Cheese
Pasta with cheese
Cheese and crackers
hamburger cut up
jelly sandwich
Morning Star Veggir bites
Noodles with sauce
chicken nuggets