PDA

View Full Version : Anyone with DC who took a bottle for one week and then refused it the next?

hlam897
06-20-2007, 10:52 PM
I've been bfing my 6-week old DD exclusively and my Pediatrician recommended giving one bottle of pumped breastmilk a day. We started last week and everything was going fine until this weekend when DD started screaming bloody murder when a bottle got near her. Has anyone had the same problem? Any solutions? We've been using Avent bottles and the slow flow nipples.

jessbyrnes
06-20-2007, 11:09 PM
Are you giving her the bottle or is your husband? My DD is 5 1/2 weeks and we give her one breastmilk bottle per day - but she will not take the bottle from me. It has to be my husband or grandma, etc. Also, she didn't love the Avent bottles, we switched to Dr. Browns's standard bottles and she has no problem with them. Good Luck!

Clarity
06-21-2007, 07:33 AM
That's about the stage my dd started refusing bottles. After going through many bottles and nipples trying to find one she would except, we finally tried the Platex Nursers. They worked! We were originally using Avent bottles too.

hlam897
06-21-2007, 10:44 AM
My husband has been giving the bottle. DD would cry when the bottle came near and DH would take it away and she would stop. DH would wait until she calms down then reintroduce the bottle. After about 3 or 4 tries DD would poop out and reluctantly take the bottle.

Thanks for the advice - I will try both Dr.Brown's and the Playtex nurser.

713abc
06-23-2007, 07:16 PM
My first DS started refusing at 7 weeks (we introduced it at 2 weeks). We were using Avent. We then tried lots of different bottles, though I don't think we tried Playtex.

He never took a bottle until he was 3 months when I put him in Daycare, they got him to take a bottle (by that time I'd heard Playtex was good for this situation so that is what they got him to take initially; then we switched to Avent when he got used to it).

Robin

maestramommy
06-23-2007, 10:29 PM
Yup, this is how the battle of the bottle started with Dora. She took it fine for 4 weeks, then suddenly decided she didn't want to anymore. We gave it up for a month, then started trying again because I had a weekly rehearsal and Dh had to give her the last feeding. We ended up stopping the Avent bottles and just using Dr. Browns, then added the Munchkin Tri-flow, and some Enfamil nipple from the hospital. I think the Avent was just too hard and knobby.

But I also had to be absent from the house. Even if I was in another room it just wouldn't work. Eventually I was able to stick around, but for the first couple of weeks I left before the routine started.

kaylinsmommy2
06-26-2007, 01:23 AM
This is so interesting. DS started to refuse the bottle around 7 weeks, too. I didn't know that this happened to so many other babies.

I don't have a solution, though. Sorry! DS just goes 5 hours without milk while I'm out.

ETA: it is definitely frustrating. It is so stressful for both the mom and the baby. Big hugs to you!

Caroline
mommy to Kaylin 6/5/04 and Carter 3/8/07

mudder17
06-26-2007, 06:59 AM
Ugh! Yes, with both my kids. We tried a ton of things, but in the end we gave up with both girls (after a month with DD#1 and after 6 weeks with DD#2). For DD#2, we just gave her the milk with a medicine dropper for almost a month (which she took VERY well) and then switched her over to a sippy (first year's take and toss) at about 4.5-5 months).

eta: with DD#1, she actually went 15 hours without milk when I had minor surgery and we discovered at the nth hour that she would actually take the medicine dropper--which is what made us think of it for DD#2.

Eileen

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_amethyst_36m.gif

http://www.tickercentral.com/view/6wrn/5.png

http://www.tickercentral.com/view/6wrn/2.png

mgc
07-09-2007, 12:47 PM
I had this issue with DD. She was very picky with bottles, and still isn't great. A few things helped:

- we switched to Dr. Brown's
- we gave bottles in the middle of the day when she was more agreeable
- we gave bottles of freshly pumped milk, so it wasn't cooled and reheated

Most importantly - I started giving her bottles. Instead of walking away, I had to be the one to teach her to take them. At first, I started nursing her, and then snuck the bottle in midfeeding. Eventually she took bottles from me, and then from other people...

trales
07-09-2007, 02:19 PM
As with pp, I had to be the one to give her the bottle. She took the bottle just fine from both DH and me for 5 weeks, then started screaming bloody murder when DH approached with the bottle. We use Dr.Browns nipples and I gave them to her. It was mommy only for 1 week, with her not eating while I was out T and Thur evening. Now she will take the bottle from DH again. Funny little buggers, aren't they. Life is easier now that she will let DH hold and feed her again.

babyzolo
07-10-2007, 03:19 PM
Hi. I have a similar problem. My 7.5 week BF DD took a bottle (breast milk) beginnig at 4 weeks for a few feedings over a week or two. Now at 7 weeks she is screaming bloody murder at the bottle. We were not consistent and we let time go by without giving her a bottle. It took 45 minutes each yesterday and the day before until she finally gave in and drank some. I am using the Avent newborn bottles with slow flow.

Should I switch bottles / nipples? Anyone have other suggestions if this does not work?

- Allison