PDA

View Full Version : Medela PIS vs Ameda PY

rachskid
06-23-2007, 05:49 PM
I'm in the market for a new pump (baby ETA in a couple months). I've seen a lot about different pumps, and right now I'm wavering between the Medela Pump In Style (original) and Ameda Purely Yours. Other than the difference in price, I'm not sure what else I can find out about these that will make up my mind. Has anybody tried both types and has a preference?

What about the amount of noise each makes? I will be pumping at work, and the location that's available isn't overly private (it's a handicapped bathroom on the way to the lunch room - there's so much I could say about THAT arrangement, but I won't).

Thanks!

merianne16
06-23-2007, 06:03 PM
I have the Ameda PY and I love it! There are less parts to clean (you don't have to worry about milk getting in the tubing) and it is very quiet. My friend has the PIS and complains that she can't use it in the same room the baby is sleeping in because it wakes her up. Hope that helps!

Momof3Labs
06-23-2007, 06:38 PM
I have both and like both quite well. Noise-wise, the PIS is a little quieter than the PY, but neither is silent.

wheezypig
06-23-2007, 09:19 PM
I have the PY. It's cheaper and you don't have to worry about cleaning the tubing. Those 2 reasons were good enough for me. It's worked great for me. I bought the pump only for $150 and use the free diaper bag I got from the hospital to carry it in. I don't know how loud the PIS is but the PY is moderately loud but not bad. I pump next to my sleeping DH and DS and they don't wake up.

rachskid
06-25-2007, 03:21 PM
Thanks, everybody, for the feedback!

I do like the idea of having fewer parts to clean and not having to worry about milk getting into the tubing. I'm not worried about waking up the kid with the pump - that's something I can always work around. My bigger concern was "entertaining" my coworkers with the sounds of pumping (and images of pumping...) as they travel back and forth to the snack machines and bathrooms. I suppose that's just something I'll have to deal with. If I can suck it up and deal with it, they'll just have to, too. But oh, to have a reasonably private, non-bathroom location for this!

millie376
07-01-2007, 09:28 AM
Hi,
I'm new to this forum and love the idea of being able to ask other mom's questions. My husband and I are expecting out first little angel in September and I have so many questions.

The latest decision I'm trying to tackle is which breast pump to purchase (Medela PIS or Ameda PY). I plan on going back to work after 3 months and want to feed our little girl breast milk as long as possible.

From reading the Baby Bargains book doing some online and in store research, it seems to me that the pros of each follow:

Medela PIS
Allows mom to empty both breasts comfortably in a short amount of time. Plus the Advanced PIS has the "2 phase expression" technology that mimics the way infants nurse (quickly at first to stimulate let down, then deeper and slower).

Ameda PY
Is smaller, lighter, and requires less cleaning.

Can anyone who has tried both pumps address these differences? It seems like the comparison summaries are based on a different set of criteria so it's very difficult to choose.

1. Does the 2 phase expression technology help with speed of pumping, comfort, or being able to maintain milk supply longer?
2. Is there really a noticeable time difference when using the different pumps?
3. How much cleaning is required for each pump?
4. What about the size and weight differnces (I don't have a store in the area that carries the Ameda PY)?

I know that I've posed a lot of detailed questions, but I appreciate any help you can provide!
:) La

Momof3Labs
07-01-2007, 01:40 PM
1. I prefer mimicking my baby's sucking pattern manually. The PIS and PY both have the settings such that you can time it perfectly for your body, versus some arbitrary program built into the PISA. And yes, using the proper settings makes a HUGE difference in output and speed of pumping.

2. No, I have both the PIS and PY and there is no significant differences (if you use the search function, you'll find a detailed side-by-side review that I wrote of both pumps sometime last year).

3. About the same. Flanges, bottles, valves. PIS valve is two-piece and PY valve is one-piece.

4. My PY is much smaller and easier to tote around than my PIS, but my PIS is the old built-in tote style. I believe that you can buy a PIS model that removes from the bag; that would be my preference.

neeter
07-07-2007, 12:13 PM
I have a PY and love it. I don't think the noise is too loud. But one thing I do is keep mine in a plastic bag, and then inside a tote bag. So the sound is muffled. I will be pumping in a not private area (curtained changing area of the women's locker room for the gym at work --- I will be avoiding it at lunchtime!) so I know what you mean about trying to keep it quiet!