PDA

View Full Version : Meatless lunches

ilfaith
06-27-2007, 06:24 PM
My three-year old has just started camp at a Jewish day school (where he will be attending preschool in the fall. He is there from 9-1:30 every day, so I need to send him off with lunch. Because the facility is kosher, the lunch must be kosher dairy, containing no meat (fish is okay...or would be if my son would eat it).

So I'm looking for ideas beyond cheese sandwiches and PB&J. We tried hummus (DS hated it...in fact he gagged on it and threw up). Egg salad also went over like a lead balloon (although DS loves scrambled eggs).

I usually give him some sort of fruit or veg (grapes, baby carrots, apple slices), maybe a string cheese or small yogurt, and sometimes a cookie or other dessert. He also gets a milk or juice box.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Lunches are refrigerated, so perishability isn't an issue.

brittone2
06-28-2007, 02:42 PM
have you seen this site yet? I plug it all the time, but I think it is a lot of fun :) You can de-veganize the stuff (we aren't vegan), but it will be meatless and dairy free as a result, so it might be something worth checking out. Yes, she's a little over the top creative, but there are still a lot of great ideas on her blog. You want the archives on the left hand side of the screen (scroll down a bit). She doesn't actively blog as much now that her cookbook is out, but the archives have great info.

d'oh!!! Edited to add link:
http://veganlunchbox.blogspot.com/

ilfaith
06-28-2007, 08:33 PM
Wow!

She sure does have a lot of ideas. I'm not certain I could be quite that creative at 7:30 in the morning, but some of her lunches definately seem worth trying.

And I love the bento box.

hellbennt
06-29-2007, 09:39 AM
pasta: cheese ravioli, spinach & cheese ravioli, tortelini, mac n' cheese, etc

Amy's frozen squares: spinach/feta, bean/cheese

Health is Wealth (something like this at whole foods)Munchies: spinach and veggie

quesadillas/burritos/wraps

potato patties (hash brown type- there are 'natural' ones)

pierogies

blintzes

~laura in miami~
ds1 7/03
ds2 7/06

kfk
06-29-2007, 02:31 PM
sandwiches made with cream cheese (using bread, bagels or tortillas): you could vary these using jam, shredded veggies (like carrots), raisins, etc.

instead of egg salad, maybe a sandwich or wrap with scrambled egg/omelette style egg inside?

pizza (leftover, or made with english muffins)

pasta salad/bean salad

refried beans with tortilla chips to dip

soynut butter and jelly (IM Healthy brand, blue top, is the best IMO)

small containers of cottage cheese, with or without fruit

Piglet
06-29-2007, 08:48 PM
nak

my ds1 goes to a religious jewish dayschool and we have the same rules. he loves pb&j, sow e have been giving it to him more than i would prefer. we like doing soy "meat" for sandwiches - tofurkey, yves, etc. are kosher and pretty tasty. we also do homemade fish sticks (breaded sole), pasta, veggie wraps, cold pizza, and other leftovers from dairy dinners.

Tondi G
06-30-2007, 11:47 AM
You said they refridgerate food but will they warm up food too (in a microwave or toaster)??? My DS's school would warm up food so leftovers were great!

bagel and cream cheese

bean and cheese burrito

cheese pizza (Trader joes makes great little frozen round ones... heat them in the morning and wrap in foil.

Think he'd eat a vegi hotdog? Morningstar farms has decent ones

Spaghetti with marinara/Lasagna

mac n cheese

annie vegi alphabet soup (do you have a thermos?)

cheese and crackers (think Lunchables style without the meat circles) sargento makes cute stars/sun cutout shapes of cheese and you could buy ritz type crackers

I'd try some vegi lunchmeat and see if there are any he is ok with.

vegi fried rice

how about scrambled egg and cheese on a biscuit/english muffin

Good Luck