PDA

View Full Version : Plastic Baby Bottle Dangers

chico0100
07-09-2007, 09:37 AM
Has anyone changed their brand of plastic baby bottles due to the recent media coverage regarding the dangers of bisphenol A found in many of the most popular bottles? I used Dr. Brown's with my daughter and loved them, but they are now on the not recommended list. We are expecting another baby and I'm not sure what to do bottle-wise. I would rather not switch to glass bottles and don't know much about the few plastic brands that don't have this chemical in the plastic. I'm not sure if this is yet another one of these scares that will be debunked in the near future. Between this and the reports about the dangers of one of the ingredients in most of the baby washes/lotions, I am truly confused. Any input/advice would be greatly appreciated!

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2007/04/09/BOTTLES.TMP

Maura

megs4413
07-09-2007, 10:01 AM
there are tons of threads on here about this topic...

from my perspective, i can't control a lot of the environmental dangers in our everyday life (don't have the resources) but buying a new set of bottles just in case was something i COULD control easily so i went ahead and made the switch. if you feel it's something worthwhile for YOUR family, go ahead and do it.

as far as "safe" plastic bottles go, i think the #1 recommendation around here is the playtex nursers with drop ins system. we've liked them a lot. HTH!

MamaMolly
07-09-2007, 04:16 PM
I agree with Megs. There have been many good threads on this topic, just do a search of #7 plastic and you will get lots of interesting perspectives. FWIW, I also switched to the drop ins for expressed BM, and have really tried to limit the number of plastic things I buy. It becomes easier with practice!
Now my new 'thing' is avoiding the 'made in China' label. New day, new obsession, I guess! ;-)

HTH, Molly

Bean606
07-09-2007, 04:46 PM
I must admit that I did not make the switchn and stayed with Dr. Brown's. They worked well for us, and DS didn't have bottles every day until he was 9 months old. Besides, I am not confident that there is truly a problem, so it wasn't worth throwing out all those bottles and getting DS used to a new one. However, if we have another child, I will probably go with a new system, just in case.

SnuggleBuggles
07-09-2007, 04:57 PM
Based on discussions here a while back I knew I would be ditching my Avents from ds. I will be bf'ing most of the time but I'm going to go for some safer bottle alternatives.

Beth

freedom
07-09-2007, 07:21 PM
I plan on trying some of the born-free bottles, or something similar.

trales
07-09-2007, 08:04 PM
We went with the Evenflo glass bottles in the 4oz size. I love them, they are so easy to clean, and I know the glass is 'safe'.

maylips
07-10-2007, 08:17 AM
We also use the 4oz Evenflo glass bottles and I love them. I know you mentioned you would rather not use glass, but it works really well for us and I feel good that it's completely safe.

I'm a little obsessive too, and am trying to rid my life of plastics in the kitchen. It's REALLY hard... probably like not buying anything from China! Pyrex and Corningware are becoming my new staples in life.

gisele
07-10-2007, 12:31 PM
I use all Born Free bottles with my daughter. The 9oz ones are available at Whole Foods. I ordered the 5oz bottles from website/Amazon. They also have a venting system like Dr. Brown (which I used on my son). I like the bottles.

daisymommy
07-12-2007, 10:43 PM
Another Playtex user here, with the drop in liners.

charp2000
07-13-2007, 12:32 PM
I seem to be in the minority, but I didn't change. I re-used the same Avent bottles from DS. I read a little into it but under the conditions my bottles were used (not microwaved or boiled with milk in them) I didn't feel it really was a problem.

Jill

Mommy to Benjamin 3/02 & Rachel 5/06

HallsofVA
07-13-2007, 06:09 PM
We've continued to use the Dr. Brown (and some Avent) bottles that we had from DS. We've been really happy with the Dr. Brown bottles with both babies.

That said, I did buy a Playtex drop-in bottle to try - but thus far neither us or the care provider's have tried it, always opting for the Dr. Brown bottle instead.