PDA

View Full Version : BF-strategy

neeter
07-11-2007, 05:51 PM
My goal is to BF for a year, but work has been so hectic lately that I can only pump twice a day, which is not enough for daycare the next day. Luckily I have some frozen stash.

My question is -- should I start giving DS a bottle of formula now and then, just so that he gets used to the taste? Especially since I probably won't make it a full year without supplementing with formula. Or should I go as long as I can on breastmilk?

Thanks for any thoughts on this!

Clarity
07-11-2007, 08:06 PM
How much are you pumping daily? Do you/can you pump on the weekends as well? How old is your ds?

I pumped each day, twice a day and I was lucky enough to have enough for the next day. But, I usually sent 3 5oz bottles (I pumped that much each day) and then when she was eating more and my supply was diminishing a bit, sent two 4oz bottles. I also made an effort to feed her in the a.m. before leaving for work, and right when I got home as well.

I guess your question was more about formula though, sorry. If you're not pumping enough, I think I'd use my stash before turning to formula. I supplemented on rare occasions and used Nestle Goodstart without problems.

Good luck!

neeter
07-12-2007, 06:46 AM
Thanks -- yes, I'm just wondering if I should use stash first or formula first. Not sure if there's a chance that DS would reject formula when it comes time. Thanks!

AugBaby
07-12-2007, 07:14 AM
It's preferable to use 100% bm for as long as you can before going to mix feeding. Many of the wonderful immunological and developmental benefits from breastmilk have a dose related relationship. Therefore, the longer you can go on the most breastmilk, the better you are.

Another reason it's preferable to delay the introduction of formula is that a baby's digestive system is constantly developing. When they are born, their guts are "open", with their food passing through with less digestion. It's best to delay the introduction of anything except breastmilk for as long as possible for this reason as well. This is why a baby may be sensitive to the milk protein in formula at 2 months, yet be fine with it at 10 months. And this is why the AAP has come around to recommend not introducing solids before 6 months. LLL recommends somewhere in the second half of the first year, as there are many babies who aren't even ready at 6 months. A few months waiting can really make a difference in your baby's ability to develop an allergy.

We've come to think that babies's systems are meant to handle formula, when in fact, the differences in the protein, fat and sugar content is huge. And while you may need to supplement with formula at some point, you want the best for your little one for as long as possible.

Sometimes a daycare provider may be overfeeding. Could this be a possibility or do you think your little one really needs more than you're pumping?

There are some woderful moms here who can help with boosting supply, and I can't recommend enough talking with a LLL group.

You're giving your baby an amazing gift. Kudos to you for all your efforts :-)

neeter
07-12-2007, 08:02 AM
Thanks, I really appreciate your response...its really helpful! I will hold off on formula as long as I can, and will continue to pump.

Actually he doesn't eat a ton, its just that during the day when I'm at work, it gets pretty hectic and I'm not pumping enough. Part of is I'm impatient and need to get back! Also part of it is that I should pump three times, but I'm only pumping twice. I know I need to just allocate enough time to pumping!

I also know that if I get up early before my baby does, I can pump lots (and usually that plus the output from the prior day will give me enough for one day).

But I have been thinking ahead to when I'm no longer able to pump enough!

Thanks again..I really appreciate it!

Tammy
07-12-2007, 08:33 AM
I agree w/ pp as far as bm exclusively as long as possible. My dd is exclusively bf, but there was a time not too long ago when it was a close call with my low supply and my freezer stash was gone. I recommend not using any freezer stash unless you have to. I say that because I asked other bf mamas as well as LLL and they said if you're using other stash, your body doesn't know it needs to produce more. The more you nurse or pump, the more you make. I know it's hard though when you get low and need to have enough for the day's supply. I pump first thing in the morning like you said and get the most then. I was pumping twice daily at work for the first 6 1/2 months, and it was enough but then my supply got really low so now I pump 3 times for 10-15 minutes. I also pump after dd goes to bed. It's important to completely empty the breasts so your body makes more. When I'm pumping I wait for the last drop, and then pump for additional couple of minutes. Also- it really helps to relax. I don't think about work stuff or how much I need to get done. I have a picture of dd in the front of my pump, and I relax and think about her and read something enjoyable. LLL also said having some clothing of hers may help to smell. Make sure and drink lots and lots of water too, and get enough rest (easier said than done!). Eating oatmeal also helps some. It was also recommended to me to try switch nursing where baby nurses for a few minutes on one side, then switch to other, then switch back. LLL website has other info about this I believe. Nurse like crazy on the weekends too! Good luck and give it a few days to help, didn't happen overnight for me but it did improve.

Momof3Labs
07-12-2007, 09:10 AM
Can you add one pumping session before bedtime each and every night? At first, you may not produce much but that should change after about a week. That could very well give you enough to ease the pumping pressure during the workday (which I completely understand) and allow you to give all breastmilk for as long as possible (and I agree to just stick with breastmilk for now - introduce the formula when and if that becomes necessary).

neeter
07-13-2007, 06:07 AM
Thanks so much ladies -- such great support here. :) I didn't think of trying not to use freezer stash, because my body won't know to make more milk. And great idea to add another session before bedtime...I will do that.

Luckily (for now) DS has been sleeping through the night and has missed some nursing sessions, so I've been able to wake up anyway around 2am or so and pump! I'd rather sleep, but I'm up anyway because my breasts are so full and uncomfy.

Thanks again!!!