PDA

View Full Version : BF Baby refusing bottle-(for a friend)

becca13
07-17-2007, 03:01 PM
Hi, really hoping someone here will have some advice. A friend of mine has just reurned to work (DD is 13 weeks) and her DD is refusing any and all bottles (with EBM in them). She has one of almost every bottle available and DD won't accept any of them.

On one occasion, DD took an entire bottle via spoon but this has not been consistent either. My friend ordered the Adari breastbottle today, but if there is anyone who might have some suggestions for methods to encourage her DD to eat while she is at work it would be great.

Thanks,
Becca

juliasmom05
07-17-2007, 03:23 PM
We had a difficult time getting DD to take a bottle as well. Here are a couple of ideas that may or may not work, but are definitely worth a try.

Try different temperatures of milk. Some prefer it cold, some warm and some at RT.

Try different feeding positions. Sitting in a bouncy chair with the vibration on worked for us. Other positions to try, sitting on knee facing in; walking facing out, etc.

Try when DC is just waking up and still a little sleepy.

Dip the nipple in some BM

You can try also cup feeding. We didn't have any success with this, but it can work.

I wouldn't give up on the bottles she has tried. DD initially refused the Platex Nurser, as well as 6 or 7 other bottles, but eventually she did end up taking it when we tried it the second time

Give the daycare worker a piece of the mother's clothing or something that smells of her to use while giving the bottle

Good luck to your friend

Marci

maylips
07-17-2007, 03:31 PM
We didn't have that trouble, but I have read before that it sometimes helps to warm the nipple too. I've run it under warm water before and my daughter does seem to take it a little easier.

Distraction can also be a culprit. I don't know how the daycare is, but if they can try to put her in a room with little around her so she can concentrate, it might help.