PDA

View Full Version : Is it normal for a 7mth old to hate solids?

Zana
07-22-2007, 08:12 AM
We have been trying for a month. DD mouths everything so she has no actual problem with putting anything in her mouth but if you dare put a spoon of food in her mouth she screams, spits, cries. I feel like Ive tried everything...shes not allergic (weve tried cereals, fruits, veggies)..weve tried when shes hungry, not so hungry...no go...she just spits everything out.

She is a perfectly happy and content baby otherwise - a bit on the small side but meeting all milestones including already crawling. Should I not worry and just keep trying (although its like a huge battle) or should I stop for a while or does this mean there is something wrong - would teething affect feeding?

o_mom
07-22-2007, 08:59 AM
Sounds like she is either not ready or wants to do it herself. I would stop trying to spoon feed for a little while. Just give her some finger foods on the highchair tray and let her try things out. Solids are just for practice at her age, so she won't be missing anything.

LarsMal
07-22-2007, 09:06 AM
I'm having a similar problem with DD. I've been trying solids for a month now and she could care less. The only difference is that she doesn't scream or cry, she keeps a huge smile on her face and just spits it back out!

I've decided to just try a little every day, or every other day, depending on our schedule. Sometimes she takes a couple bites, sometimes she doesn't. I figure she doesn't really *need* it, so we'll just keep practicing until she gets it.

She also put everything in her mouth, so I was going to break up some of those Gerber puffs and see if she wants to do it herself. She tried to grab the spoon today and put it in her mouth, so maybe they are just very independent girls who want to do it themselves!!!

Good luck!

NeyhaR
07-23-2007, 11:59 AM
DS didn't want solids until he was at least 10 months old. I still tried every day because he's very small for his age and I wanted him to get as many calories as possible. But, he really didn't take much in until he was a year old.

AmyZ
07-23-2007, 05:56 PM
Eliana was very uninterested until about 9.5 months. If it is a huge battle, I'd give yourself a break - take some time off and then try again.

Amy Z

Eliana 2/04
Abigail 1/07
http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_gold_12m.gif[/img][/url]

lisams
07-23-2007, 06:46 PM
DD was that way. I thought all babies liked solids - silly me! For DD it was totally a personality thing. She is still very much like that - it's great as long as it's on her terms!

We just kept trying, she was never totally into it like some babies are but she became more tolerant of it, lol!