PDA

View Full Version : Omega-3 question

LarsMal
07-29-2007, 12:45 PM
This is probably a really stupid question...but is it okay to take an omega-3 supplement while BF? I never took one while pregnant, and I know it's good to eat foods high in Omega-3, but I can't find anything that says it's okay to take the supplement.

I've read that Omega-3 can help with eczema, and I'm ready to try any natural way since I can't take meds while BF.

Thanks!

kimbe
07-29-2007, 11:02 PM
Hmm, that is a tough one. I don't know if it counts as a "supplement" or not but while BFing DD I put 2T of ground flax seed on my oatmeal everyday. Once she started eating solids, she got some too. I never even questioned whether it was okay or not. I am eager to read any responses that you get.

amandabea
07-30-2007, 07:20 AM
Getting Omega-3 through vegetarian supplements such as flax seed and flax oil are fine -- according to my ped and everything I've read. BFing moms should not take fish oil supplements as they could pass the mercury through the BM. I actually just started giving my DD one tsp of flax oil in her cereal to help with constipation and she gets the added benefit of the Omega-3 through that, plus whatever I pass through my BM. I checked the Dr. Sears website re: the dosage and recommendation for constipation and also w/ my ped.
HTH

Amanda

LarsMal
07-30-2007, 08:20 AM
I found some info on kellymom.com and the rec there was not to take a fish oil supplement. I read somewhere else about flax seeds so maybe I'll start with those!