PDA

View Full Version : Do you let your child play with something while he/she eats?

wencit
07-31-2007, 01:24 AM
What do you think? Bad idea or OK? It started with handing DS a fork or a spoon while he was eating; now it's progressed to anything that's on the kitchen table. I have noticed that DS definitely eats more while he's preoccupied with something, but I'm not sure it's setting a good precedent. I worry I'm encouraging a bad habit that will be hard to break later. DS used to sit quietly in a restaurant and eat his meal, but now he has to be entertained with something on the table, otherwise he yells and screams. Admittedly, I don't know how much of this is because he's used to playing with something at home, and how much of it is just his age.

What are your thoughts?

hillview
07-31-2007, 05:09 AM
We don't allow playing at the table ONCE food is on the table. Try to keep it to you eat then are done sort of routine. Part of the screaming is his age. On the other hand if that is the only way to get through a meal I am a whatever it takes sort of person so if he eats, doesn't scream maybe let it go for now and revisit in a month or 2 if it helps keep you sane ;)
/hillary

MamaMolly
08-01-2007, 07:42 AM
My DD eats much better with a toy to distract her. When she turned 10 months, she suddenly started to fight every bite. Weird how suddenly it happened. She doesn't yell and scream much, but she will refuse to open her mouth and also will throw her finger food. So yeah, right now we let her hold something and play. She really has only 3 toys that are her 'kitchen' or 'eating' toys, and that is the only time she gets them. I guess maybe cause I'm always washing them so they aren't available for other play times.
A funny thing is that we really don't do this when dining out, and it had become less and less fun...Hmmmmm. Maybe I'll bring a toy along.
I have to ponder the long term implications some more. Not sure on that one.

HTH, Molly

nmosur
08-02-2007, 03:40 PM
This has become such a major issue with DD and I don't know how to resolve it. It started with a toy and now we have progressed to wallets, cellphones and pretty much anything that will get her to open her mouth. And I know that I am responsible for this situation so makes it worse. In the beginning (when she was around 5 months), it was a breeze - I would hand her a spoon or fork, she would hold it and play a little with it while I fed her. Now as soon as she sits on the high chair she wants something "different" to play with. Once she is done with one item, she won't eat till I give her something that interests her. She has silent reflux and is not even on the charts for her weight. If I had to do it all over again, I would not go this route.

Any suggestions on how to get rid of this habit without affecting her eating??

Thanks
Naveena